Lorde Announces Her Parents Are Engaged After 30 Years
By Anne Lu | June 18, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Lorde’s parents are getting married. The Kiwi teen superstar has revealed that her dad has just proposed to her mum after 30 years of being together.
After four children together, civil engineer Vic O’Connor and poet Sonja Yelich are finally going to make it official. Lorde’s father proposed to her mother during a trip to the Niagara Falls over the weekend.
Lorde performs during the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill
Their famous second child excitedly announced the good news on her Twitter, complete with a bunch of emojis that include smiling faces, a rainbow, rose, hearts and a diamond ring.
BEST DAY - went to niagara falls - my dad proposed to my mum after almost 30 years together. ☺️😘😍👼💍💕❤️💖🌈🌹🎉💝
— Lorde (@lordemusic) June 17, 2014
Marriage proposals often include an offer of a diamond ring, which led fans to ask if Lorde has finally seen a “diamond in the flesh,” referring to a line on her top-charting song “Royals.”
inevitable response yes i know i have seen a diamond now — Lorde (@lordemusic) June 17, 2014
Lorde has been vocal about her close relationship with her parents.
Speaking with Interview magazine in the past, Lorde, real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, recalled how Vic and Sonja helped her with her school.
“My parents are really onto it; they know what young people need,” she said.
She continued, “My parents are pretty good; they understand what I really want. If I do decide to leave school at the end of this year, that’s a bridge we’ll cross. But I do, one day, still really want to go to University, to study media and film probably.”
In April, she announced that she would have to postpone her Australian tour after listening to her parents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date