Lorde Announces Her Parents Are Engaged After 30 Years
By Anne Lu | June 18, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Lorde’s parents are getting married. The Kiwi teen superstar has revealed that her dad has just proposed to her mum after 30 years of being together.
After four children together, civil engineer Vic O’Connor and poet Sonja Yelich are finally going to make it official. Lorde’s father proposed to her mother during a trip to the Niagara Falls over the weekend.
Lorde performs during the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill
Their famous second child excitedly announced the good news on her Twitter, complete with a bunch of emojis that include smiling faces, a rainbow, rose, hearts and a diamond ring.
BEST DAY - went to niagara falls - my dad proposed to my mum after almost 30 years together. ☺️😘😍👼💍💕❤️💖🌈🌹🎉💝
— Lorde (@lordemusic) June 17, 2014
Marriage proposals often include an offer of a diamond ring, which led fans to ask if Lorde has finally seen a “diamond in the flesh,” referring to a line on her top-charting song “Royals.”
inevitable response yes i know i have seen a diamond now — Lorde (@lordemusic) June 17, 2014
Lorde has been vocal about her close relationship with her parents.
Speaking with Interview magazine in the past, Lorde, real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, recalled how Vic and Sonja helped her with her school.
“My parents are really onto it; they know what young people need,” she said.
She continued, “My parents are pretty good; they understand what I really want. If I do decide to leave school at the end of this year, that’s a bridge we’ll cross. But I do, one day, still really want to go to University, to study media and film probably.”
In April, she announced that she would have to postpone her Australian tour after listening to her parents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell