Google to Introduce New Service, 'Google Fit' Competes With Big Players
By Naveena Joy | June 18, 2014 12:30 PM EST
Forbes cited Google is set to announce a new service known as "Google Fit," which is a new service that collects all the data from health-tracking gadgets.
A Google logo is reflected on the screen of a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone in this file photo illustration taken in Prague, January 31, 2014.
Google Fit is similar to Apple's HealthKit, which was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference. HealthKit will include Apple's new iOS 8. Also, Samsung has a similar feature called SAMI which will collect all health data.
"Google Fit will aggregate data through open APIs, instruction sets that allow apps to share information, and will also announce partnerships with wearable device makers at its I/O conference," Forbes reported.
Another source knowledgeable of Google's plans said, "Google Fit would allow a wearable device that measures data like steps or heart rate to interface with Google's cloud-based services and become part of the Google Fit ecosystem."
It was unclear whether the new service will be integrated into Android by default or it will be handled through a separate app or both.
Google is also expected to announce the names of some fitness device makers with gadgets that already work with Google Fit.
Earlier this year, Google rolled out its Android Wear project that brings Android to wearable devices such as smart watches focusing on health monitoring.
With this, Forbes speculated Google Fit could be serving as a hub for integrating data from a variety of Android Wear devices and other products with same platform.
Google Fit, along with other similar devices, is either a fitness band or calorie-counting app or heart rate monitor or possibly using apps and sensors that help in tracking medical conditions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone