Google to Introduce New Service, 'Google Fit' Competes With Big Players
By Naveena Joy | June 18, 2014 12:30 PM EST
Forbes cited Google is set to announce a new service known as "Google Fit," which is a new service that collects all the data from health-tracking gadgets.
A Google logo is reflected on the screen of a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone in this file photo illustration taken in Prague, January 31, 2014.
Google Fit is similar to Apple's HealthKit, which was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference. HealthKit will include Apple's new iOS 8. Also, Samsung has a similar feature called SAMI which will collect all health data.
"Google Fit will aggregate data through open APIs, instruction sets that allow apps to share information, and will also announce partnerships with wearable device makers at its I/O conference," Forbes reported.
Another source knowledgeable of Google's plans said, "Google Fit would allow a wearable device that measures data like steps or heart rate to interface with Google's cloud-based services and become part of the Google Fit ecosystem."
It was unclear whether the new service will be integrated into Android by default or it will be handled through a separate app or both.
Google is also expected to announce the names of some fitness device makers with gadgets that already work with Google Fit.
Earlier this year, Google rolled out its Android Wear project that brings Android to wearable devices such as smart watches focusing on health monitoring.
With this, Forbes speculated Google Fit could be serving as a hub for integrating data from a variety of Android Wear devices and other products with same platform.
Google Fit, along with other similar devices, is either a fitness band or calorie-counting app or heart rate monitor or possibly using apps and sensors that help in tracking medical conditions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘Destiny' Leaks Reveal Redesigned Ships, New Armour, Sparrow Shaders
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown