Nexus 8 vs Nexus 7 2013: Is Upgrading to the New Nexus Tablet Worth Your Budget?
By Ryan Inoyori | June 18, 2014 11:40 AM EST
Android fans are expecting Nexus 8 at Google I/O event to present the next generation OS version. But if you already own Nexus 7 2013 and eligible to get Android 4.5, should you upgrade to Nexus 8 tablet?
There are no confirmed details about the specifications of Nexus 8 and rumours strongly suggest Qualcomm's upcoming 64-bit processor models to be released as samples this year.
Display quality may be upgraded to 2K resolution just like with Galaxy Tab S 8.4. 2K display will definitely blow away the HD screen of Nexus 7 2013 in terms of a larger 8 inches diagonal screen size and more immersive viewing experience with videos.
Google is rumoured to use Qualcomm's upcoming 64-bit processor that support 2K display and 4K video recording.
Brand New OS
New Nexus means a new OS and the next generation Android may feature additional support for new processors, new graphics processing chips and virtual memory. On Android KitKat, Google extended more driver supports on various hardware components and added OpenGL ES 2.0 for the SurfaceFlinger.
Qualcomm's candidate processors for 2014 support OpenGL ES 3.1 and Adreno 430 GPU that boasts 30 per cent improved performance and 20 per cent less power consumption.
Smoother User Experience
If Google and Qualcomm succeed on installing 64-bit processor cores in Nexus 8, there are several improvements that all users will enjoy when using Android 4.5.
1. Much faster compared to the processing speed of Nexus 7 2012 and 2013.
2. Much better graphics support due to Qualcomm's optimisation plans.
3. Capacity to use at least 4 GB of RAM chipset.
4. Enables use of bigger internal storage drives such as 128 GB.
5. Access to LTE-Advanced network mode.
Nexus 8 may not get the 4K video recording support or slow-motion as it will affect the price if Google install high-class camera lenses. But users may enjoy watching them right on the Nexus 8 tablet or using the HDMI cable on larger screens. The 64-bit processor cores will do the trick to make 4K videos usable on Nexus 8:
- Support on native 4K Ultra HD interface and video
- OpenGL ES 3.1 support
- Frame buffer compression and external 4K display support via HDMI1.4.
Qualcomm's 64-bit processors are not only limited to performance, speed and display. There are several perks for any mobile device powered by Snapdragon 810 and 808.
1. Multi-user version of Multiple Input Multiple Output Wi-Fi connectivity
2. Bluetooth 4.1 support
3. Qualcomm IZat for accurate location service
4. Support on advanced mobile camera features such as enhanced exposure, white balance and fast low light focus
5. Up to 300 Mbps speed using mobile data
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Tips For LG Nexus 5: Notifications, Accessibility, Privacy And Saving Battery
- Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy Note 5 And Sony Xperia Z4: Top Things Unveiled So Far
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Apple Watch: Works Only With The iPhone And The Confusing Apple WatchKit Software
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports