FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #26 Honduras vs. Ecuador
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 18, 2014 10:01 AM EST
Honduras 1 Ecuador 2
Ecuador's Enner Valencia (C) jumps as Switzerland's Diego Benaglio (L) slides to kick the ball away as Switzerland's Johan Djourou watches during their 2014 World Cup Group E soccer match at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia, June 15, 2014.
The twenty sixth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Honduras and Ecuador. The Group E match should be interesting as both Honduras and Ecuador know that a loss in this match will possibly ruin any dream of securing a place in the "group of 16". With both teams having lost one each, it will be "do or die."
Honduras: Honduras had to face a tough opposition in its first match. France had an easy win against a team that became a 10-man squad after Wilson Palacios had been sent off. Moreover, it scored an own goal in the second half and conceded one more to suffer defeat. While France was busy making a strong impression in its first match, Honduras could only be a witness. Honduras is often criticised for indulging in harsh tackles. Honduras manager Luis Suarez, on the other hand, defended his team's style of tackling. A lot of improvement is required with not much time left. Honduras will face another tough task against Ecuador.
Ecuador: Ecuador played quite well against a team which is considered to be one of the finest in the tournament. The efficient Swiss team was forced to tolerate a 1-1 draw until the 92nd minute. Haris Seferović's goal at the last minute of the play separated the two. Coach Reinaldo Rueda later said that his team got overwhelmed by emotions and paid the price. Ecuador needs to work on its organisational skills which it is known for. At the same time, it needs to show restraint in its skills to be more convincing when it matters the most.
Head to Head
These two teams played 13 times against each other before, and 8 of those ended in a draw. Honduras won 2 and Ecuador 3. There were 27 goals. Ecuador scored 14 of those and Honduras 13.
Honduras: Carlo Costly and Jerry Bengtson
Ecuador: Enner Valencia and Felipe Caicedo
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 7 pm (local time) on June 20, which means it is 8 am on June 21 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena da Baixada in Curitiba.
The history of these teams shows that there is hardly anything that can separate the two. This is going to be a highly competitive game. As Honduras will probably not change its aggressive nature of playing, there will be a lot of tackles. Ecuador will eventually win it 2-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch