Iron Ore Prices Plummet to $89/Tonne
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 18, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Morgan Ball, the director of BC Iron, said on Tuesday that the mood in Perth is apprehensive but pragmatic after iron ore prices dipped to its 2012 level of $89 per tonne.
A train hauling carriages filled with iron ore is seen on the outskirts of Port Hedland in the Pilbara region of Western Australia in this December 3, 2013 file photo. If Australian miners are worried about the dramatic decline in iron ore prices, it doesn't show. At an annual gathering of many of the world's biggest and smallest iron ore producers here the mood is upbeat - as if the heftiest one-day fall in ore prices since the global financial crisis never happened. REUTERS/David Gray/Files
The price reduction of ore for delivery to the port of Tianjin has slid down 34 per cent to the year as iron ore stock piles in China reach near record levels due to the slower growth in the world's second-largest economy.
He explained after touring media of the company's mining operations in Nullagine in Pilbara, "We're all in a cyclical industry so we're used to downturns, Business Spectator quoted Ball.
He said that as it is, the cash cost for BC Iron is expected to go down to between $60 and $70 per tonne, depending on currency fluctuation. If prices of the key steelmaking ingredient would further plummet, he said it could lead to talks with contractors about cutting costs of exploration and business development.
But Ball added that there would likely be no job cuts in the company despite the declining cost of iron ore due to overstacking in China, the top consumer of the commodity.
Helen Lau, analyst of UOB Kay Hian, forecast a floor price of $80 in the second half, telling Bloomberg, "During the summer season, you can expect the continuous slowing down of steel production. Steel mills have no interest in replenishing their stocks."
Wood Mackenzie, a global consultancy, forecast average price of $107 in 2014, which would further fall to $98 in 2015 in real 2014 terms, and to $90 in 2017, inclusive of costs and freight.
Meanwhile, Deutsche Bank cut its forecast for iron ore prices to $113.10 for 2014 and $89.30 for 2015.
News of the lower iron ore price caused shareprices of iron ore miners to also move downward. BC Iron shares dropped 3.26 per cent to $2.97 at 4:15 pm when the market close, but the benchmark fall was smaller at 0.21 per cent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June