Mt Etna Eruption Closes Sicily Airport (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 10:13 PM EST
Europe's most active volcano once more showed her might on Sunday by spewing ash and lava, causing the closure of an airport in Sicily, Italy, 3 News reports.
Mount Etna, Europe's tallest and most active volcano, erupts for the 14th time.
The volcano made a spectacular air show as it provided a pyrotechnic display made up of molten lava and sent ash plume into the sky. Most of these volcanic actions were taking place from a crater on its south-east side.
While the Catania Airport is still open, the eruption caused the temporary closure of two air space corridors on Monday, delaying flights and disrupting schedules of tourists bound for Sicily.
Etna is found in eastern Sicily between Catania and Taormina, a popular tourist town. In 1987, the 3,350-metre high volcano was named a national park by Italy, which provided the site with mountain refuges and trails for hikers who want to go nearer.
It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in June 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People