Mt Etna Eruption Closes Sicily Airport (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 10:13 PM EST
Europe's most active volcano once more showed her might on Sunday by spewing ash and lava, causing the closure of an airport in Sicily, Italy, 3 News reports.
Mount Etna, Europe's tallest and most active volcano, erupts for the 14th time.
The volcano made a spectacular air show as it provided a pyrotechnic display made up of molten lava and sent ash plume into the sky. Most of these volcanic actions were taking place from a crater on its south-east side.
While the Catania Airport is still open, the eruption caused the temporary closure of two air space corridors on Monday, delaying flights and disrupting schedules of tourists bound for Sicily.
Etna is found in eastern Sicily between Catania and Taormina, a popular tourist town. In 1987, the 3,350-metre high volcano was named a national park by Italy, which provided the site with mountain refuges and trails for hikers who want to go nearer.
It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in June 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0