Mt Etna Eruption Closes Sicily Airport (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 10:13 PM EST
Europe's most active volcano once more showed her might on Sunday by spewing ash and lava, causing the closure of an airport in Sicily, Italy, 3 News reports.
Mount Etna, Europe's tallest and most active volcano, erupts for the 14th time.
The volcano made a spectacular air show as it provided a pyrotechnic display made up of molten lava and sent ash plume into the sky. Most of these volcanic actions were taking place from a crater on its south-east side.
While the Catania Airport is still open, the eruption caused the temporary closure of two air space corridors on Monday, delaying flights and disrupting schedules of tourists bound for Sicily.
Etna is found in eastern Sicily between Catania and Taormina, a popular tourist town. In 1987, the 3,350-metre high volcano was named a national park by Italy, which provided the site with mountain refuges and trails for hikers who want to go nearer.
It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in June 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans