Mt Etna Eruption Closes Sicily Airport (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 10:13 PM EST
Europe's most active volcano once more showed her might on Sunday by spewing ash and lava, causing the closure of an airport in Sicily, Italy, 3 News reports.
Mount Etna, Europe's tallest and most active volcano, erupts for the 14th time.
The volcano made a spectacular air show as it provided a pyrotechnic display made up of molten lava and sent ash plume into the sky. Most of these volcanic actions were taking place from a crater on its south-east side.
While the Catania Airport is still open, the eruption caused the temporary closure of two air space corridors on Monday, delaying flights and disrupting schedules of tourists bound for Sicily.
Etna is found in eastern Sicily between Catania and Taormina, a popular tourist town. In 1987, the 3,350-metre high volcano was named a national park by Italy, which provided the site with mountain refuges and trails for hikers who want to go nearer.
It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in June 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate