Mt Etna Eruption Closes Sicily Airport (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 10:13 PM EST
Europe's most active volcano once more showed her might on Sunday by spewing ash and lava, causing the closure of an airport in Sicily, Italy, 3 News reports.
Mount Etna, Europe's tallest and most active volcano, erupts for the 14th time.
The volcano made a spectacular air show as it provided a pyrotechnic display made up of molten lava and sent ash plume into the sky. Most of these volcanic actions were taking place from a crater on its south-east side.
While the Catania Airport is still open, the eruption caused the temporary closure of two air space corridors on Monday, delaying flights and disrupting schedules of tourists bound for Sicily.
Etna is found in eastern Sicily between Catania and Taormina, a popular tourist town. In 1987, the 3,350-metre high volcano was named a national park by Italy, which provided the site with mountain refuges and trails for hikers who want to go nearer.
It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in June 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown