Grigor Dimitrov Wins Aegon Queens Championship; ‘Touched’ by GF Maria Sharapova’s Support
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 17, 2014 8:52 PM EST
Grigor Dimitrov added a new trophy in his budding list of achievements in the sporting world of tennis after winning the Aegon Championship at West London's Queens Club. The Bulgarian athlete claimed the title against Spain's Feliciano Lopez with a 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 final score.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria gives the thumbs up after defeating Michael Llodra of France in their opening round match at the Paris Masters men's singles tennis tournament at the Palais Omnisports of Bercy in Paris, October 29, 2013. Reuters/Charles Platiau
The victory was Dimitrov's third title for the 2014 tennis season. All three were won in different surfaces. Dimitrov won his first title in 2014, beating South African native player Kevin Anderson, at the Acapulco Open in Mexico. His second title was won in Bucharest where he beat Lukas Rosol of Czechoslovakia.
Dimitrov, who started the current season at the 23rd sport in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings, has leaped 10 places up. The 23-year-old athlete is now at the 13th place in the world rankings. It is anticipated that he will move up another notch in the world rankings after earning 250 points in the recent Aegon tournament. He is only behind 105 point from Japan's Kei Nishikori, who was ousted in the semifinals of the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
"Down match point in the second was, I mean, that wasn't the coolest thing, but you know, I just fought hard," Dimitrov said in an interview after the match as reported by Lawn Tennis Association. "I think today was, I just left everything on court," he added.
Dimitrov, who first played in the Aegon tournament in 2009, said that he always wanted to win. "I remember myself playing as a teenager here, and ever since I have dreamt about that moment."
Dimitrov handed over his racket to ATP executive chairman and president Chris Kernode after blowing a kiss to his girlfriend of 18 months Maria Sharapova, who was also present to show support to him.
"Maria, thank you for coming to watch," said Dimitrov in his speech.
In a post-match interview, Dimitrov further thanked Sharapova for being not only as his girlfriend but his supporter as well, The Telegraph reported. "She's just unbelievable with me throughout all the year so far and just supporting me."
"This is something that is very touching for me."
"I always feel comfortable when I have the closest people around me."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]