Grigor Dimitrov Wins Aegon Queens Championship; ‘Touched’ by GF Maria Sharapova’s Support
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 17, 2014 8:52 PM EST
Grigor Dimitrov added a new trophy in his budding list of achievements in the sporting world of tennis after winning the Aegon Championship at West London's Queens Club. The Bulgarian athlete claimed the title against Spain's Feliciano Lopez with a 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 final score.
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria gives the thumbs up after defeating Michael Llodra of France in their opening round match at the Paris Masters men's singles tennis tournament at the Palais Omnisports of Bercy in Paris, October 29, 2013. Reuters/Charles Platiau
The victory was Dimitrov's third title for the 2014 tennis season. All three were won in different surfaces. Dimitrov won his first title in 2014, beating South African native player Kevin Anderson, at the Acapulco Open in Mexico. His second title was won in Bucharest where he beat Lukas Rosol of Czechoslovakia.
Dimitrov, who started the current season at the 23rd sport in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings, has leaped 10 places up. The 23-year-old athlete is now at the 13th place in the world rankings. It is anticipated that he will move up another notch in the world rankings after earning 250 points in the recent Aegon tournament. He is only behind 105 point from Japan's Kei Nishikori, who was ousted in the semifinals of the 2014 Gerry Weber Open.
"Down match point in the second was, I mean, that wasn't the coolest thing, but you know, I just fought hard," Dimitrov said in an interview after the match as reported by Lawn Tennis Association. "I think today was, I just left everything on court," he added.
Dimitrov, who first played in the Aegon tournament in 2009, said that he always wanted to win. "I remember myself playing as a teenager here, and ever since I have dreamt about that moment."
Dimitrov handed over his racket to ATP executive chairman and president Chris Kernode after blowing a kiss to his girlfriend of 18 months Maria Sharapova, who was also present to show support to him.
"Maria, thank you for coming to watch," said Dimitrov in his speech.
In a post-match interview, Dimitrov further thanked Sharapova for being not only as his girlfriend but his supporter as well, The Telegraph reported. "She's just unbelievable with me throughout all the year so far and just supporting me."
"This is something that is very touching for me."
"I always feel comfortable when I have the closest people around me."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced