NBA News: Australian Patty Mills Draws Interest from the New York Knicks
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 8:51 PM EST
Patty Mills of Australia was one of the many offensive weapons the San Antonio Spurs used during their 2014 title run. For his consistent showing both in the regular season and especially in the postseason, Mills have drawn the attention of other NBA teams as the 25-year-old Australian is set to become a free agent on July 1.
San Antonio Spurs Patty Mills of Australia (L) celebrates with Boris Diaw of France (C) and Tim Duncan against the Miami Heat during the first half in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Mills averaged 10.2 points, 1.8 assists and 42.3 per cent from behind the arc in 81 regular season games for the Spurs in 2013-2014.
It was in the postseason that he impressed with a few big games including an 18-point, 8-of-17 FG output in the clinching game versus the Portland Trail Blazers in the West Finals and back-to-back big outings in Games 4 and 5 with 14 and 17 markers, respectively against the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.
The appeal of the Big Apple and a bigger role in New York may appeal to Mills, who was the primary back-up point guard to Tony Parker at San Antonio.
That role can even lead to starting job, as the Knicks have no legit starting PG with only the likes of Raymond Felton (overpaid at $4.4M next season with questions on conditioning last year) and Pablo Prigioni (a bargain at $1.6M but already 37-years-old).
With a new system in place—Phil Jackson’s dream of a triangle in NY run by new head coach Derek Fisher—Mills appears to be a good fit as well with his knack for outside shooting at the one-spot.
Mills is in the final year of his three-year contract with San Antonio getting $1.13M in 2013-2014. With a performance in the recent playoffs, he is bound to get a significant raise in this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales