NBA News: Australian Patty Mills Draws Interest from the New York Knicks
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 8:51 PM EST
Patty Mills of Australia was one of the many offensive weapons the San Antonio Spurs used during their 2014 title run. For his consistent showing both in the regular season and especially in the postseason, Mills have drawn the attention of other NBA teams as the 25-year-old Australian is set to become a free agent on July 1.
San Antonio Spurs Patty Mills of Australia (L) celebrates with Boris Diaw of France (C) and Tim Duncan against the Miami Heat during the first half in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Mills averaged 10.2 points, 1.8 assists and 42.3 per cent from behind the arc in 81 regular season games for the Spurs in 2013-2014.
It was in the postseason that he impressed with a few big games including an 18-point, 8-of-17 FG output in the clinching game versus the Portland Trail Blazers in the West Finals and back-to-back big outings in Games 4 and 5 with 14 and 17 markers, respectively against the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.
The appeal of the Big Apple and a bigger role in New York may appeal to Mills, who was the primary back-up point guard to Tony Parker at San Antonio.
That role can even lead to starting job, as the Knicks have no legit starting PG with only the likes of Raymond Felton (overpaid at $4.4M next season with questions on conditioning last year) and Pablo Prigioni (a bargain at $1.6M but already 37-years-old).
With a new system in place—Phil Jackson’s dream of a triangle in NY run by new head coach Derek Fisher—Mills appears to be a good fit as well with his knack for outside shooting at the one-spot.
Mills is in the final year of his three-year contract with San Antonio getting $1.13M in 2013-2014. With a performance in the recent playoffs, he is bound to get a significant raise in this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roman Reigns Vs Randy Orton Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools