NBA News: Australian Patty Mills Draws Interest from the New York Knicks
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 8:51 PM EST
Patty Mills of Australia was one of the many offensive weapons the San Antonio Spurs used during their 2014 title run. For his consistent showing both in the regular season and especially in the postseason, Mills have drawn the attention of other NBA teams as the 25-year-old Australian is set to become a free agent on July 1.
San Antonio Spurs Patty Mills of Australia (L) celebrates with Boris Diaw of France (C) and Tim Duncan against the Miami Heat during the first half in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Mills averaged 10.2 points, 1.8 assists and 42.3 per cent from behind the arc in 81 regular season games for the Spurs in 2013-2014.
It was in the postseason that he impressed with a few big games including an 18-point, 8-of-17 FG output in the clinching game versus the Portland Trail Blazers in the West Finals and back-to-back big outings in Games 4 and 5 with 14 and 17 markers, respectively against the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.
The appeal of the Big Apple and a bigger role in New York may appeal to Mills, who was the primary back-up point guard to Tony Parker at San Antonio.
That role can even lead to starting job, as the Knicks have no legit starting PG with only the likes of Raymond Felton (overpaid at $4.4M next season with questions on conditioning last year) and Pablo Prigioni (a bargain at $1.6M but already 37-years-old).
With a new system in place—Phil Jackson’s dream of a triangle in NY run by new head coach Derek Fisher—Mills appears to be a good fit as well with his knack for outside shooting at the one-spot.
Mills is in the final year of his three-year contract with San Antonio getting $1.13M in 2013-2014. With a performance in the recent playoffs, he is bound to get a significant raise in this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy