NBA News: Australian Patty Mills Draws Interest from the New York Knicks
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 8:51 PM EST
Patty Mills of Australia was one of the many offensive weapons the San Antonio Spurs used during their 2014 title run. For his consistent showing both in the regular season and especially in the postseason, Mills have drawn the attention of other NBA teams as the 25-year-old Australian is set to become a free agent on July 1.
San Antonio Spurs Patty Mills of Australia (L) celebrates with Boris Diaw of France (C) and Tim Duncan against the Miami Heat during the first half in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Mills averaged 10.2 points, 1.8 assists and 42.3 per cent from behind the arc in 81 regular season games for the Spurs in 2013-2014.
It was in the postseason that he impressed with a few big games including an 18-point, 8-of-17 FG output in the clinching game versus the Portland Trail Blazers in the West Finals and back-to-back big outings in Games 4 and 5 with 14 and 17 markers, respectively against the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.
The appeal of the Big Apple and a bigger role in New York may appeal to Mills, who was the primary back-up point guard to Tony Parker at San Antonio.
That role can even lead to starting job, as the Knicks have no legit starting PG with only the likes of Raymond Felton (overpaid at $4.4M next season with questions on conditioning last year) and Pablo Prigioni (a bargain at $1.6M but already 37-years-old).
With a new system in place—Phil Jackson’s dream of a triangle in NY run by new head coach Derek Fisher—Mills appears to be a good fit as well with his knack for outside shooting at the one-spot.
Mills is in the final year of his three-year contract with San Antonio getting $1.13M in 2013-2014. With a performance in the recent playoffs, he is bound to get a significant raise in this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast