Death by World Cup Fever: Chinese Fan Dies of Sleep Deprivation
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 7:31 PM EST
The World Cup is supposedly the greatest show on earth. One soccer fan from China took it way too seriously and died of sleep deprivation after watching the games in Brazil for consecutive nights.
Spain's goalkeeper Iker Casillas reacts after a goal by Netherlands during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13,2014.
“A Chinese fan has reportedly died after staying up for too many nights in a row to watch the World Cup.” states The Daily Mail on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old man from Suzhou, China was apparently found dead in-front of a TV set hours after Netherlands dominating win over Spain, 5-1 last Friday.
China is 11-12 hours ahead of parts of Brazil where the games are being played. The Netherlands-Spain match ended at around 5 a.m. in China (4 p.m. in Brazil).
Soccer fans from around Asia have to watch the games starting past midnight if they want to follow the games. The opening match of the day usually starts at 1 a.m. and ends at 9 a.m. with the regular three-game schedule.
According to the same article, this is not the first time that Chinese soccer fans have died because of “too much soccer”.
In Euro 2012, a fan spent 11 days watching each and every game of the tourney and died from exhaustion. In 2006 and 2010 World Cups, Chinese hospitals also admitted more patients than usual with “symptoms of exhaustion”
It was not mentioned in the report if the Chinese fan was rooting for La Furia Roja, which got completely bamboozled by the Oranje.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone