Death by World Cup Fever: Chinese Fan Dies of Sleep Deprivation
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 7:31 PM EST
The World Cup is supposedly the greatest show on earth. One soccer fan from China took it way too seriously and died of sleep deprivation after watching the games in Brazil for consecutive nights.
Spain's goalkeeper Iker Casillas reacts after a goal by Netherlands during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match at the Fonte Nova arena in Salvador June 13,2014.
“A Chinese fan has reportedly died after staying up for too many nights in a row to watch the World Cup.” states The Daily Mail on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old man from Suzhou, China was apparently found dead in-front of a TV set hours after Netherlands dominating win over Spain, 5-1 last Friday.
China is 11-12 hours ahead of parts of Brazil where the games are being played. The Netherlands-Spain match ended at around 5 a.m. in China (4 p.m. in Brazil).
Soccer fans from around Asia have to watch the games starting past midnight if they want to follow the games. The opening match of the day usually starts at 1 a.m. and ends at 9 a.m. with the regular three-game schedule.
According to the same article, this is not the first time that Chinese soccer fans have died because of “too much soccer”.
In Euro 2012, a fan spent 11 days watching each and every game of the tourney and died from exhaustion. In 2006 and 2010 World Cups, Chinese hospitals also admitted more patients than usual with “symptoms of exhaustion”
It was not mentioned in the report if the Chinese fan was rooting for La Furia Roja, which got completely bamboozled by the Oranje.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories