Michael Schumacher Coma Update: Schumi May Have Watched Germany’s Win Against Portugal, Says Lukas Podolski
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 17, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
On early Monday, Schumacher's manager and spokesperson Sabine Kehm confirmed that the former Formula One driver is finally out of coma and already left the medical facility in Grenoble, France.
"Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore," Kehm said in a press release on Monday.
"His family would like to thank all his doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months."
"The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes. We are sure it helped him. For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."
Schumacher spent the last six months in medically-induced coma after his head hit hard in a skiing accident in French Alps resort last December 29. There are speculations that the seven-time Formula One champion could no longer wake up from the coma, especially after the driver's camp imposed a media blackout on his progress from the accident.
Lukas Podolski, who admitted to be a fan of the F1 legend, expressed his sadness on the Schumi's condition and vowed to win the World Cup in honor of the German car racer.
"Michael Schumacher is as crazy about football as we all are," Podolski told reporters on Saturday at the German team's Campo Bahia headquarters in the pre-match press conference, reported Blid, before news of the former F1 driver's improved condition had been confirmed.
"Unfortunately he is not doing so well. The DFB [the German Football Association], the team and I continue to wish his family strength. We hope he will be back on his feet soon and eventually he will be able to see one of our matches.
"If we win the World Cup then it is something which could give him some joy."
Fortunately, the 29-year old Podolski and the German squad got a morale boost when they learned the news that Schumacher is no longer in coma condition
"What a great news!!! Get well soon Schumi!!! I'm so glad and happy when I just heard it! #schumi #getwellsoon #poldi," wrote 29-year-old Podolski on his Twitter account.
"He's a good friend a good guy and he's also crazy about football," said substitute striker Podolski. "Maybe he watched the game or he knew about the result."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border