Michael Schumacher Coma Update: Schumi May Have Watched Germany’s Win Against Portugal, Says Lukas Podolski
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 17, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
On early Monday, Schumacher's manager and spokesperson Sabine Kehm confirmed that the former Formula One driver is finally out of coma and already left the medical facility in Grenoble, France.
"Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore," Kehm said in a press release on Monday.
"His family would like to thank all his doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months."
"The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes. We are sure it helped him. For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."
Schumacher spent the last six months in medically-induced coma after his head hit hard in a skiing accident in French Alps resort last December 29. There are speculations that the seven-time Formula One champion could no longer wake up from the coma, especially after the driver's camp imposed a media blackout on his progress from the accident.
Lukas Podolski, who admitted to be a fan of the F1 legend, expressed his sadness on the Schumi's condition and vowed to win the World Cup in honor of the German car racer.
"Michael Schumacher is as crazy about football as we all are," Podolski told reporters on Saturday at the German team's Campo Bahia headquarters in the pre-match press conference, reported Blid, before news of the former F1 driver's improved condition had been confirmed.
"Unfortunately he is not doing so well. The DFB [the German Football Association], the team and I continue to wish his family strength. We hope he will be back on his feet soon and eventually he will be able to see one of our matches.
"If we win the World Cup then it is something which could give him some joy."
Fortunately, the 29-year old Podolski and the German squad got a morale boost when they learned the news that Schumacher is no longer in coma condition
"What a great news!!! Get well soon Schumi!!! I'm so glad and happy when I just heard it! #schumi #getwellsoon #poldi," wrote 29-year-old Podolski on his Twitter account.
"He's a good friend a good guy and he's also crazy about football," said substitute striker Podolski. "Maybe he watched the game or he knew about the result."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate