World Cup 2014: Al Shabaab Claims Responsibility for Death of 49 Singles Watching Soccer Games in Kenyan Hotel
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 5:56 PM EST
The Al Shabaab, a Sunni Islamist militia based in Somalia and believed to have links with al-Qaeda, has claimed responsibility for attacks on Sunday that killed 49 single men and women watching the World Cup matches in a Kenyan hotel.
Breivik stalked Utoya Island during a Labour party youth camp, killing 69 people. The court heard that he killed at least 54 with single execution-style shots to the head.
The incident is a repeat of 2010 when the same group killed 74 soccer fans in Uganda by using suicide bombers who have bombs strapped to their bodies.
The terror group used the Muslim belief that unmarried males and females should never mix or even shake hands as their reason for the massacre. According to the Herald Sun, the terrorists entered the video hall, smashed the TV then ordered the women to go to one side of the bar, away from the men.
The attackers were heard shouting "Allahu Akbar" which means God is Great.
Using their AK-47s, the group fired at the men, shooting indiscriminately. One man, Meshack Kimani, lived to recount the horror he witnessed and shared it with the Daily Mail. He escaped death by hiding behind the door.
Later, the New Breeze hotel, where the incident happened, was burned down, the hotel manager, John Wanyoike, told AFP.
But it appears the massacre was aimed at Christians when they went through the town of Mpeketoni at night and asked residents if they were Muslims, recalled Anne Gathigi. When her husband replied that they are Christians, the gunmen shot him in the head and chest.
Mpeketoni is located 32 kilometres from Lamu and is a historic Arab trading port and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine