ANSTO Uses Apple iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S2 on Radiation Detector App
By Athena Yenko | June 17, 2014 4:32 PM EST
The app claims that it can measure a person's exposure to radiation in microGray per hour (μGy/h) through cameras built in smartphones. Smartphone cameras are hypersensitive to visible light and energy gamma photons, ANSTO said.
The testing revealed that Radioactivity Counter app, indeed, can measure people's exposure to radiation. The app can be used to warn people of vacating a location that exposes them to higher and risky dose of radiation.
According to ANSTO, a person's yearly limit to radiation exposure is 20 μGy/h for approximately 50 hours.
On the contrary, a recent study revealed that Radio-frequency electromagnetic radiation emitted by mobile phones damages male sperm. The risk is higher for men who have the habit of putting their mobile phones inside the front pocket of their trousers, the study revealed.
To support the study, Dr Fiona Mathews, of Biosciences at the University of Exeter, compiled ten previous studies and 1,492 sample studies from fertility clinics and research centres. Studies conducted measures sperm quality in three different ways.
1. motility (the ability of sperm to move properly towards an egg)
2. viability (the proportion of sperm that were alive)
3. and concentration (the number of sperm per unit of semen).
"Given the enormous scale of mobile phone use around the world, the potential role of this environmental exposure needs to be clarified. This study strongly suggests that being exposed to radio-frequency electromagnetic radiation from carrying mobiles in trouser pockets negatively affects sperm quality. This could be particularly important for men already on the borderline of infertility, and further research is required to determine the full clinical implications for the general population," Mathews explained.
The study is titled, "Effect of mobile telephones on sperm quality: a systematic review and meta-analysis" and published by the journal Environment International.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique