Disney Star Zendaya to Play Late R&B Singer Aaliyah in New Biopic Movie: Know Interesting Facts About Aaliyah
By nidhi tewari | June 17, 2014 2:49 PM EST
Disney star Zendaya has been roped in to play the role of late R&B singer Aaliyah, who was killed tragically in a plane crash in Bahamas at a very young age of 22. The biopic "Aaliyah: Princess Of R&B" will be a television movie and will focus on the personal life and career of the late singer. The movie will be based on a bestselling book "Aaliyah: More Than A Woman," which tells the story of her life from childhood to her untimely death.
Actress Zendaya arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Seventeen-year-old Zendaya Coleman has expressed her happiness and excitement to her fans for been chosen for this role. "She's been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter then ever, all I wanna do is honor her," Zendaya wrote on her Twitter page.
Zendaya then went on to talk about the achievements of Aaliyah and wondered at how much she had achieved in the short life span of 22 years. "...she's beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her," Zendaya added.
Zendaya acknowledged the fact that she is just a 17-year-old teenager who has been tasked to play a vital role and she promised her fans on Twitter that she will do justice to the role as Aaliyah has been her inspiration. Here are few interesting facts about singer Aaliyah's life.
1. Aaliyah secretly married fellow R&B singer R. Kelly when she was just 15-years-old but her marriage was annulled by her parents as she was underage at that time. Both R. Kelly and Aaliyah never publically accepted they were married.
2. R. Kelly not only became Aaliyah's mentor but also became the songwriter and producer for her debut album, "Age Ain't Nothing but a Number," which sold three million copies in the United States and was certified double platinum.
3. For her second album "One in Million," Aaliyah worked with record producers Timbaland and Missy Elliott. This album too was a huge hit as it sold reportedly 3.7 million copies in the America and more than 8 million copies worldwide!
4. Aaliyah died on August 25, 2001 while returning from Bahamas in a plane which was being flown by an unlicensed pilot. It was later found that the pilot, Luis Morales III, had traces of cocaine and alcohol in his system.
5. Aaliyah also appeared in a movie "Romeo Must Die," where she even did a background score "Try Again," which became a hit at the Billboard Hot 100 countdown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand