Michael Schumacher Out of Coma, Ferrari Compiles Messages of Support
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 17, 2014 2:47 PM EST
In the wake of recent developments on the status of Michael Schumacher's health with the announcement that he is now out of the coma, hope is renewed that the seven-time Formula 1 world champion will recover from his injuries. It may be recalled that Schumacher suffered serious head injuries in January this year after an accident while skiing in the slopes of Mirabel ski resort in France. He has since been put in an induced coma in order for surgeries to be done and allow his brain to heal and let the inflammation go down. The racing ace was left in a coma for several months and hope seemed bleak for his recovery until a breakthrough was announced yesterday that he is now out of the coma and has been moved to a recovering facility in Switzerland.
Ferrari Formula One driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file picture.
It is still unclear what extent "out of a coma" means as this could be anywhere from still being unable to breathe on his own with no cognitive functions or, what many hope, a completely conscious state albeit with minimal mobility.
His management and medical teams have been mum about the exact details of his condition but speculations come in from left and right about his road to recovery and one thing is clear: he has a long way to go and will be going through a lot of rehabilitation in order to regain a semblance of his old life.
Schumacher won five of his seven world titles and the tram have been vey vocal of their all out support posting 72 messages from different people he has touched in his years in the industry. Here are a few of the notable mesages starting with Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo all the way to past employers, teammates and former rivals:
Luca di Montezemolo - Michael, my thoughts are always with you, with great affection! Everyone at Ferrari is following your situation, just as they did from the pits at so many Grands Prix that you won with us and I am equally certain that you will also win this very important battle!"
Fernando Alonso - Get well soon Michael and I hope to hear some good news as soon as possible!
Felipe Massa - Dear Michael, my great friend, you helped me so much in my career and I pray for you every day. I took part in my karting race with your name on my helmet visor and now I want to see you stronger than ever, just as always. I give you a big hug!
Niki Lauda - Michael, every day I follow your improvements and every day I am close to you. I hope I can speak to you very, very soon!
Jean Alesi - Dear Michael, not a day goes by at home without me and my son Giuliano talking about you, about your recovery in which we believe and the times we spent go-karting together. Now, we are waiting for you and we want to see you as soon as possible back on the same karting track so we can all race together again!
Giancarlo Fisichella - Forza, Michael I will never forget the lap when you gave me a lift on the sidepod of your Ferrari, when I stopped out on track with a problem at Hockenheim! I'm waiting to enjoy a nice game of football with you. Forza Michael!
Bernie Ecclestone - it was a long night to convince both Eddie Jordan to release you and Flavio to take you but apart from my loss of sleep, it worked out well and I was very proud to have made it happen. I have always been one of your big supporters, so don't let me down. My warmest wishes!
Flavio Briatore - Michael, I still remember the all-nighter we spent together in the Villa d'Este, negotiating your move with Eddie and Bernie. A lot happened after that didn't it! You went ever onwards, year after year, winning more titles. Now I want to hug you again, as soon as possible, just like we did after winning a Grand Prix!
David Coulthard - Dear Michael, first of all I am so very sorry that you have found yourself in this situation, sorry for your family, led by Corinna and all the pain they must be experiencing as you make your recovery. When I reflect on our racing together I am filled with a number of emotions. This is because I met 3 Michaels during our time racing together. First of all the family man, remember when we ended up riding horses whilst taking time off in Australia, near to Cairns? or the after party in Hockenheim when we ended up singing karaoke together? Petra went in the pool at the end of the night! The racer, unbelievably committed and undeniably the fastest of our generation and that's not taking into account all the records broken along the way! The blunt sportsman! On reflecting I feel it wouldn't be correct not to acknowledge the few differences of opinion that we had along the way! I will always remember Spa 98 when you arrived at my garage during the race dragging Jean Todt as he tried to stop you entering the McLaren garage! Racing against you brought out the best in all of us, I can say without fear of contradiction that your talent, your commitment and the support of your nearest and dearest took you to a level that most of us could only dream. You gave my career credibility and made me work harder, drive faster and achieve more than I would have done with lesser competition. I have always admired your speed and commitment and I look forward to being able to reminisce over a Bacardi and coke about how the kids today don't know how difficult we had it in our day ! Michael, I am thinking of you and your family, praying that this situation can be over and life can return to normal. With my greatest respect, DC.
See a full list of messages in the official Scuderia Ferrari F1 page dedicated to Schumacher called Forza Michael.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko