5 Things About Nexus 8 - Android Lollipop, 64-Bit CPU, 3 GB RAM, Manufacturer, Nexus 5 Price Drop
By Ryan Inoyori | June 17, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Android fans and Nexus users are all waiting for the rumoured Nexus 8 at the upcoming Google I/O 2014 event. Reports claim that the 8-incher tablet will boast of a set of 64-bit processors, 3 GB RAM and Android 4.5 Lollipop with imminent release date signified by Nexus 5 price drop.
Nexus 8 With 64-Bit Processor?
Qualcomm announced two new processor cores that support 64-bit processing which have been rumoured to power Nexus 8. These processors are named Snapdragon 810 and Snapdragon 808 integrated with Cat 6 LTE-Advanced and Carrier Aggregation up to 60 MHz.
If the rumours are true regarding Nexus 8 powered by one of these new processors, users may enjoy the following new perks.
1. Rich native 4K Ultra HD interface and video with an upgraded camera capable of 3D noise reduction for high quality 4K video at 30 frames per second and 1080p video at 120 frames per second.
2. Additional support for advanced graphics rendering on Adreno 430 GPU and OpenGL ES 3.1.
3. Boosts Adreno 430 GPU by up to 30 per cent.
4. Reduction of power consumption by up to 20 per cent.
5. Introduction of high speed LPDDR4 memory on Snapdragon 810.
6. Support for Bluetooth 4.1, USB 3.0, NFC and Qualcomm IZat.
7. Frame buffer compression and external 4K display support via HDMI1.4.
Qualcomm plans to release the two new processors as samples starting in the second half of 2014 and full commercial availability by the first half of 2015. If Google intends to use one of the new processors, Nexus 8 release date may be affected due to the schedule announced by Qualcomm.
Faster RAM Chipset
Regardless of what processor model Nexus 8 uses, as long as it features 64-bit processing users will get the full potential of a high speed RAM chipset. At the current status of mobile devices, high class smartphones and tablets can only utilise 3 GB of RAM unless a 64-bit processor is installed.
Based on Qualcomm's official announcement, Snapdragon 810 can support LPDDR4 memory which will be useful to certain chipsets being developed today including Samsung's 8GB LPDDR4.
In computing, a high capacity and high speed RAM requires full support of the processor cores in order to be maximised for multitasking. Otherwise, a lot of memory will not be used by apps unless optimised by the developers.
Android 4.5 Lollipop
There is no mystery when it comes with newer Nexus devices as they are always used for bearing the next generation Android. Android 4.5 Lollipop is the speculated new version that may be unveiled at the Google I/O event this month.
With the rumours of Nexus 8 having new processor cores and a new RAM chipset, it may signify that Android 4.5 supports higher technology than Android KitKat.
- Support on 64-bit processors
- Support on high capacity RAM chipsets
- 4K video may become native resolution
- Possibility of a camera app with 4K video
- Slow-motion video feature using 1080p at 120 frames per second
- New drivers support for Adreno 430 GPU
- New version of OpenGL ES
Right now, HTC and LG are at the front as possible makers of Nexus 8. Both companies are rumoured due to two factors.
2. LG's history with G Pad 8.3 and two Nexus smartphone.
Google has not yet confirmed which manufacturer will make the Nexus 8 and whether or not the company considers shifting from ASUS to HTC or LG.
Nexus 5 Price Drop
Nexus 5 recently received a price drop at Carphone Warehouse that slashes its price from £295.95 to £249.95. Users are also eligible to immediately update the smartphone to the latest Android 4.4.3 KitKat that contains all necessary bug fixes found on Android 4.4.2.
Lowering the price may simply be a competitive strategy to invite more users to buy cheaper but high class smartphones such as Nexus 5. However, the price drop may also signify an upcoming new version of Nexus smartphone or the arrival of new Nexus tablet. For that, it remains to be seen after Google I/O 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast