Botox Provides Relief for Headache
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 1:16 PM EST
While headache remains one of the most common disorders of the nervous system, there is no surefire way to permanently rid of it, with people resorting to medication or expensive treatments.
The main ingredient in Botox may be modestly helpful for people with chronic migraines, a new report suggests -- but it doesn't seem to offer much relief for those who have less-frequent headaches.
The large number of people suffering from headaches and their different reactions to various treatments has resulted in a host of new products and services meant to give relief, the latest being botox shots.
The Times of India reported that the trend has now reached Chennai city with women lining up at hospitals for the unlikely treatment. It said studies have proven that the shots are able to provide relief from migraine for three to six months.
It quoted Fortis Malar Hospitals' Dr. Sathish Kumar, a neurologist, who said 12 out of the 25 people he meets complaining from migraine are from the IT industry and are considering botox as an option.
"Though chronic migraine cannot be cured permanently, OnaBotulinum toxin typeA can significantly decrease the severity and frequency of migraine attacks," he said.
According to the article, the shots are matched with the nerve points on the scalp, with at least 150 units of botox injected for headache relief lasting six months.
A number of treatment clinics in the United States have also been offering botox injections for migraine relief.
However, Apollo Hospitals' consultant neurologist Dr. Vikash Agarwal told The Times of India that while it provides relief for chronic migraine, it "should never be the first leg of treatment."
"It is not a cure, but an option for interim relief. It should be prescribed only when conventional methods of treatment fail. Excess amounts of botox could cause weakness of facial muscles," he said.
According to the World Health Organisation, 47 per cent of people around the world had experienced headache in the last 12 months. More than 10 per cent of adults reported suffering from migraine.
Fortunately, there are less invasive or drastic procedures and treatments available in the market.
Unlike other cooling and heating packs sold in the U.S., Thermal-Aid is made from natural materials that will not burn the skin. The kit includes a headache relief cream and a special pad made from terrycloth cotton and processed corn kernel that is able to hold temperatures for long periods of time.
The "specialized corn" is created through a unique process that removes the germ from the kernel, resulting in the removal of moist that allows mold and fungi to form. The process hardens and extends the life of the corn, in addition to allowing it to retain both hot and cold temperature. The small pieces are then sewn into the terrycloth.
The Thermal-Aid pad, designed by a Board-certified neurologist, is placed over the eyes while the cream is spread over the temples and forehead to cause immediate relief. The cream services as a topical analgesic and pain reliever.
The World Health Organisation said it is important for people to be more aware of headaches and how to treat it, especially since it becomes a burden to their life and the rest of society.
Natural and environment-friendly products like Thermal-Aid allow safe and immediate relief for headaches, as well as other bodily pains.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet