Angelina Jolie Denied Entry to Sudan
By Anne Lu | June 17, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Angelina Jolie has been denied entry to Sudan. The Hollywood A-lister, who was recently given the title of honorary dame by Queen Elizabeth II, was slated to appear at a summit at the African nation as part of her role as special envoy for the United Nations.
Cast member Angelina Jolie and actor Brad Pitt pose at the premiere of \"Maleficent\" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California May 28, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 30. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
The 39-year-old actress was due to attend at an event at the capital Khartoum, but was denied an entry visa. British ambassador to Sudan, Peter Tibber, confirmed the reason for Jolie’s absence on Friday.
Barred from entering the country, Jolie still managed to impart her message at the summit by appearing in a video.
In the video, she criticised President Omar al-Bashir and his administration for the death sentence of Christian woman Yahya Ibrahim, who refused to renounce her religion in the Muslim-dominated country.
“Khartoum should respect the fundamental right to freedom of religion, and to repeal its laws that ban people from converting their faith, as they are inconsistent with its 2005 Interim Constitution, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,” she was quoted by various media as saying in the clip.
She also noted the disproportionate amount of wealth among the elites in Sudan’s political circle, saying “They steal wealth, then fund the Janjaweed, the internal security organs, and the Sudanese Air Force, and ensure that those brutal instruments of control are held by a small circle of ruling party officials.”
In 2004, Jolie visited the African nation to meet with refugees. She described the conditions in Sudan as “unbelievably horrible.”
She was singled out for recognition during the British queen’s birthday honours for her work against sexual violence in war zones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- AC/DC Angus Young and Brian Johnson on Troubled Drummer Phil Rudd’s Future With Them, Continuing Music Without Malcolm Young [VIDEO]
- After Estee Lauder, Kendal Jenner Now Bags Karl Lagerfeld Campaign In Less Than A Week
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced