Angelina Jolie Denied Entry to Sudan
By Anne Lu | June 17, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Angelina Jolie has been denied entry to Sudan. The Hollywood A-lister, who was recently given the title of honorary dame by Queen Elizabeth II, was slated to appear at a summit at the African nation as part of her role as special envoy for the United Nations.
Cast member Angelina Jolie and actor Brad Pitt pose at the premiere of \"Maleficent\" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California May 28, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 30. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
The 39-year-old actress was due to attend at an event at the capital Khartoum, but was denied an entry visa. British ambassador to Sudan, Peter Tibber, confirmed the reason for Jolie’s absence on Friday.
Barred from entering the country, Jolie still managed to impart her message at the summit by appearing in a video.
In the video, she criticised President Omar al-Bashir and his administration for the death sentence of Christian woman Yahya Ibrahim, who refused to renounce her religion in the Muslim-dominated country.
“Khartoum should respect the fundamental right to freedom of religion, and to repeal its laws that ban people from converting their faith, as they are inconsistent with its 2005 Interim Constitution, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,” she was quoted by various media as saying in the clip.
She also noted the disproportionate amount of wealth among the elites in Sudan’s political circle, saying “They steal wealth, then fund the Janjaweed, the internal security organs, and the Sudanese Air Force, and ensure that those brutal instruments of control are held by a small circle of ruling party officials.”
In 2004, Jolie visited the African nation to meet with refugees. She described the conditions in Sudan as “unbelievably horrible.”
She was singled out for recognition during the British queen’s birthday honours for her work against sexual violence in war zones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air