Aaron Hernandez Challenges Evidence on Murder Charge
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 17, 2014 12:43 PM EST
Beleaguered former New England Patriots Star Aaron Hernandez and his legal team have sought the dismissal of murder charges raised against him on ground of lack of evidence.
Former NFL New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez talks with his defense attorney, Charles Rankin during a hearing at the Bristol County Superior Court House in Fall River, Massachusetts, June 16, 2014. Attorneys for former NFL star Aaron Hernandez on Monday called on a judge to throw out charges that the ex-tight end murdered a semiprofessional football player in June 2013, one of three homicides Hernandez is charged with.
Hernandez faces murder raps on account of Odin Lloyd's slaying on June 17, 2013 and another separate case where he was suspected to have gunned down two men in Boston in July 2012.
Adding to his list of legal battles was another allegation that he attacked a handcuffed inmate, threatened to kill a jail guard and his family, while incarcerated in Dartmouth. He pleaded not guilty on all charges and was being held without bail at the facility.
ESPN.com reported prosecutors countered with the claim that they can prove that Hernandez was present. With Lloyd, at the time, he was shot to death and the murder was a result of a violent behavior of Hernandez.
Presiding Judge Susan Garsh has relayed she will rule at a later date on the motions of the defense to dismiss the Lloyd murder charge and suppress evidence gathered by the state which includes cellular phone records and surveillance camera recordings from dozens of cameras at the football star's home in North Attleborough.
She also floated the possibility of a trial date of July 6 and set a July deadline for the New England Patriots on the directive to provide the football team's personnel records and database.
Defense Atty. James Sultan described the prosecution's evidence as ''woefully lacking'' and pointed out the state has yet to establish a motive for Lloyd's killing.
''There's certainly a lot of what I would call smoke. No doubt about it,'' Sultan said.
''But you can't throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and say, 'Well, that's good enough.' That's not probable cause that he committed the crime.''
The prosecution team responded the toll booth, surveillance, GPS data and cellular phone records would all attest to Hernandez's whereabouts at the time of Lloyd's murder. The state was also keen to show that Hernandez had the "presence, knowledge and intent" to put into fruition the heinous crime.
Prosecutors also pointed out that incidents in Boston, Providence and Miami would indicate a "common pattern" of violence of Hernandez usually during disputes at nightclubs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?