NZ Woman Rebecca Oldman Advised to Have Her Ovaries Removed, 'Shocks Doctors With Pregnancy'
By Reissa Su | June 17, 2014 12:25 PM EST
A New Zealand woman, hospitalized to have her ovaries removed, has been complaining about her stomach cramps. Rebecca Oldman was shocked to find she was 32 weeks pregnant and about to give birth to a baby boy.
A newborn baby waits for attention at Lima's maternity hospital, May 8, 2014. REUTERS/ Mariana Bazo
Doctors had advised the 25-year-old to have her ovaries removed after suffering from painful cramps. She had two blood tests, three scans and six pregnancy tests, according to reports. But a staff of Middemore Hospital in Manukau City woke her up and said she was pregnant.
In an interview with the New Zealand Herald, Oldman, said she was about to live she can't have more children because doctors told her about her ovary problems. She was surprised to find out she was having a baby boy.
She said despite the short notice, it was better than waking up to a nurse handing her a baby. According to the hospital, her painful cramps may have been caused by her son, whom she named James, being squeezed tightly along her back.
Oldman added doctors had to use forceps to get the baby out of her during the cesarian operation since he was lodged tight. Doctors told her she was feeling pain from the baby trying to move around but unable to do so. Experts said only one in 500 mothers are "unaware" they are carrying a baby until the later part of their pregnancy.
Reports said New Zealand doctors are investigating Oldman's case. Dr. Martin Sawter, an obstetrician in Auckland, told the Herald he wonders why her condition was not determined since she took a pregnancy test. He questioned the pregnancy test was unable to detect an increase in hormones at 32 weeks.
Sawter said the test can detect pregnancy hormones at eight or nine weeks. The doctor also queried the results of the ultrasound. He said if the ultrasound was done properly, something should have been seen.
Sawter added the only way to miss something was if someone had looked at the wrong scan or didn't know how to handle the equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories