NFL News: Ex-Cowboy Josh Brent Released From Prison
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 17, 2014 12:18 PM EST
Former Dallas Cowboys Defensive Back Josh Brent has been released from prison Sunday after his conviction of intoxication manslaughter for a car crash that led to the death of his friend and teammate, Jerry Brown, the Dallas County sheriff's office said.
Yahoo! Sports reported the 26-year-old tackle of the Dallas Cowboys was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years on probation for drunk-driving in December 2012 resulting to the passing of Brown, a Cowboys practice player.
Brent crashed his Mercedes sedan on a suburban Dallas highway on his way back from a night out. Witnesses relayed Brent was trying to pull Brown out of the wreckage of the vehicle. Reports noted he was way beyond the tolerable level of alcohol consumption and registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.18, more than twice the legal limit.
Prosecutors pressed hard for the conviction of Brent and pushed for 20 years in jail to send a message to would-be drunk drivers. The case softened with the testimony of Stacey Jackson, Brown's mother, who testified she had already forgiven Brent saying "you can't go on in life holding a grudge."
Brent was a defensive tackle for the Dallas Cowboys and retired from the NFL months before the January trial. He could attempt to be reinstated now that he is a free man.
But it was not clear if the NFL will issue a suspension before he can be allowed on a roster again. Brent and Brown were close since their college days in the University of Illinois where they were teammates on the varsity team and roommates in Texas, where Brown was a practice squad linebacker for the Cowboys.
At least one Cowboys player, Linebacker Sean Lee, attended part of Brent's trial, while owner Jerry Jones has declared of his support for Brent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes