NFL News: Ex-Cowboy Josh Brent Released From Prison
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 17, 2014 12:18 PM EST
Former Dallas Cowboys Defensive Back Josh Brent has been released from prison Sunday after his conviction of intoxication manslaughter for a car crash that led to the death of his friend and teammate, Jerry Brown, the Dallas County sheriff's office said.
Yahoo! Sports reported the 26-year-old tackle of the Dallas Cowboys was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years on probation for drunk-driving in December 2012 resulting to the passing of Brown, a Cowboys practice player.
Brent crashed his Mercedes sedan on a suburban Dallas highway on his way back from a night out. Witnesses relayed Brent was trying to pull Brown out of the wreckage of the vehicle. Reports noted he was way beyond the tolerable level of alcohol consumption and registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.18, more than twice the legal limit.
Prosecutors pressed hard for the conviction of Brent and pushed for 20 years in jail to send a message to would-be drunk drivers. The case softened with the testimony of Stacey Jackson, Brown's mother, who testified she had already forgiven Brent saying "you can't go on in life holding a grudge."
Brent was a defensive tackle for the Dallas Cowboys and retired from the NFL months before the January trial. He could attempt to be reinstated now that he is a free man.
But it was not clear if the NFL will issue a suspension before he can be allowed on a roster again. Brent and Brown were close since their college days in the University of Illinois where they were teammates on the varsity team and roommates in Texas, where Brown was a practice squad linebacker for the Cowboys.
At least one Cowboys player, Linebacker Sean Lee, attended part of Brent's trial, while owner Jerry Jones has declared of his support for Brent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People