NFL News: Ex-Cowboy Josh Brent Released From Prison
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 17, 2014 12:18 PM EST
Former Dallas Cowboys Defensive Back Josh Brent has been released from prison Sunday after his conviction of intoxication manslaughter for a car crash that led to the death of his friend and teammate, Jerry Brown, the Dallas County sheriff's office said.
Yahoo! Sports reported the 26-year-old tackle of the Dallas Cowboys was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years on probation for drunk-driving in December 2012 resulting to the passing of Brown, a Cowboys practice player.
Brent crashed his Mercedes sedan on a suburban Dallas highway on his way back from a night out. Witnesses relayed Brent was trying to pull Brown out of the wreckage of the vehicle. Reports noted he was way beyond the tolerable level of alcohol consumption and registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.18, more than twice the legal limit.
Prosecutors pressed hard for the conviction of Brent and pushed for 20 years in jail to send a message to would-be drunk drivers. The case softened with the testimony of Stacey Jackson, Brown's mother, who testified she had already forgiven Brent saying "you can't go on in life holding a grudge."
Brent was a defensive tackle for the Dallas Cowboys and retired from the NFL months before the January trial. He could attempt to be reinstated now that he is a free man.
But it was not clear if the NFL will issue a suspension before he can be allowed on a roster again. Brent and Brown were close since their college days in the University of Illinois where they were teammates on the varsity team and roommates in Texas, where Brown was a practice squad linebacker for the Cowboys.
At least one Cowboys player, Linebacker Sean Lee, attended part of Brent's trial, while owner Jerry Jones has declared of his support for Brent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation