Shell Sells Stake in Woodside for $5.32 Billion
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 11:40 AM EST
Oil giant Royal Dutch Shell is selling its majority shares in Woodside Petroleum for $5.32 billion after tax. That is equivalent to 157 million shares out of 190 million, in effect reducing its stake in the oil and gas company to 4.5 per cent from 23 per cent.
Royal Dutch Shell shares took a knock after the report that its Nigeria business was weakening on heightened security concerns (Reuters)
In offloading its shares of Woodside, van Beurden said it does not mean it lacks confidence in the Australian oil and gas giant as key energy producer.
"It doesn't change our view of Australia as an important player on the global energy stage, or Shell's central role in the country's energy industry.
Woodside would buy back half of the shares at $2.85 billion, which represents 9.5 per cent of the issued capital shares. That would mean Woodside is buying it at a 14 per cent discount of $39.49 per share on the average price of the stock in the five days leading to June 16.
The remaining 78.27 million shares will be sold to institutional investors by two investment banks at $41.35 a share.
Woodside Petroleum Chief Executive Peter Coleman said the sale and buy-back would deliver value to shareholders by enhanced earnings, cash flow and dividends per share.
"This combined transaction is an efficient and disciplined use of capital and creates value for all our shareholders ... In parallel, it allows us to optimize the company's near-term capital structure, while maintaining the capacity to continue to develop existing projects and make additional investments in new growth opportunities," he added.
YouTube/ABC News (Australia)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza