Australian Dollar Outlook - 17 June 2014
By Christine Gaylican | June 17, 2014 11:18 AM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The AUD sits perilously close to 0.9400, almost exactly where it went out at the end of last week.Australia: AUD stability comes despite a fresh fall in iron ore prices, down a further 2.1% to USD89.0 per tonne - its lowest level since September 2012.
The AUD rides on a wild spin before the RBA decides on key rates today
The RBA June Board meeting Minutes will be published today at 11:30AEST. In the post-meeting statement, the RBA did not explicitly mention the deterioration in consumer confidence but comments around the improvement in business confidence and conditions compared with a year ago were removed.
There is a risk the Minutes could read a little more dovishly than the post-meeting statement.
Majors: The USD eased back marginally as tensions in Iraq drove a selloff in emerging market currencies against other low yielders like the
JPY and CHF. Moves were very limited elsewhere as the market awaits the decision from the FOMC later this week. There, expectations are that
the Fed will taper by a further USD10bn, and lower its unemployment forecast.
For the USD, the rhetoric of Chairperson Yellen at the post meeting press conference will be key and this in turn will set the direction for the AUD. With iron ore prices setting another fresh low, and the appreciation of the AUD increasingly dependent on the low volatility environment, any hints about the trajectory of US rates will be key.
Three medium-sized Chinese commercial banks, confirmed that the PBoC approved a 50bps cut to the reserve requirement ratio (RRR) last Friday,
with cuts for other banks reported. Cuts are likely to be extended to other institutions to bolster liquidity as the PBoC seeks to bolster economic
16 JUN AU New Motor Vehicle Sales May
AU RBA Minutes Jun
EC ZEW Survey Jun
US CPI MoM YoY
For latest pricing, ranges visit www.bellpotter.com.cu
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen