Weather Alert: Perth, South West Advised to Brace for 15-25mm of Rain, BoM Issues Severe Weather Warning
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 17, 2014 10:54 AM EST
Residents in Perth and the South West are being advised to take necessary precautions as the area could receive as much as 15-25 mm of rain by midday today. The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a Severe Weather warning following a cold front that could bring in strong winds and high tides.
"We are expecting a pretty severe event through around midday - that's when probably the worst of the weather will be for Perth and then that's going to lead into a period of showers and rain," Yahoo News quoted bureau spokesman Neil Bennett.
The winds could wreak havoc on property and cause hazardous road conditions.
Geraldton, Northampton, Jurien Bay, Mandurah, Bunbury, Bussleton, Margaret River and Bridgetown and the Perth Metropolitan area are all included under the Severe Weather warning.
"A strong cold front will move over the southwest of Western Australia during Tuesday and is expected to bring thunderstorms, gusty winds and a period of heavy rainfall to western parts of the South West Land Division,'' the Bureau said.
"The leading edge of the cold front is expected to lie near the Southwest Capes near 8 am Tuesday morning, moving through the metropolitan area late morning and to northern and eastern parts of the warning area early afternoon."
It added that the strongest wind gusts are likely to be on the leading edge of the cold front, with heavy falls on and to the west of the cold front.
The Lower West forecast district and parts of the Central West and South West forecast districts will experience showers and thunderstorms with peak gusts around 125 km/h.
The Central West and Lower West forecast districts and parts of the South West forecast districts will experience abnormally high tides which may cause sea water flooding of low lying areas.
The bad weather is expected to clear by 4 pm on Tuesday, June 17.
Bennett said the rain showers will continue on and off for the rest of the week, "although this will be the wettest day and then we'll start to see more showers coming back towards the end of the weekend."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report