Apple (AAPL) Assures Encryption Boost When iCloud Emails Go Between Other Providers
By Naveena Joy | June 17, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Advanced technology assuages us to store and share online. But there is no clear understanding or assurance whether the information you store in the cloud is indeed safe and impenetrable by a third party.
A worker climbs outside an Apple store in Hong Kong
The NPR reports that the answer to all this depends on what services is being used. The Electronic Frontier Foundation conducted a survey on big tech companies and asked them what kinds of encryption they have been using. Google has started citing email providers who were not encrypting email messages as they shared between companies.
Going through the list as to what these big tech companies are currently doing, some are not using encryption and declined to give specifics, while others were adding those services and some were good to go.
The NPR further reveals that Apple encrypts messages when they travel to other iCloud that is @me.com and @mac.com accounts but not when these are shared with other accounts like Outlook or Gmail.
Hardware and software giant, Apple (AAPL), is stepping ahead to protect its iCloud customers.
Apple's iCloud email service is at present one of the very few that does not encrypt messages when they are exchanged with other providers. However, this will change very soon.
Apple plans to start encrypting its customers email when it goes from one provider to another and not just when email goes to iCloud. Although there is yet a timeline set as to when this will happen, techradar.com said.
The change adds on to Apple's existing encryption procedures, including encrypting "fingertip information" and emails that come from and land on devices running OS X Yosemite.
The report also says that the configuration files that lets the telecom company control aspects of how an iPhone works is also unencrypted. According to Apple, these updates are authenticated and cannot be changed. All pre-login browsing or shopping traffic from the Apple Store is unencrypted, including all HTML content, images and so on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast