Apple (AAPL) Assures Encryption Boost When iCloud Emails Go Between Other Providers
By Naveena Joy | June 17, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Advanced technology assuages us to store and share online. But there is no clear understanding or assurance whether the information you store in the cloud is indeed safe and impenetrable by a third party.
A worker climbs outside an Apple store in Hong Kong
The NPR reports that the answer to all this depends on what services is being used. The Electronic Frontier Foundation conducted a survey on big tech companies and asked them what kinds of encryption they have been using. Google has started citing email providers who were not encrypting email messages as they shared between companies.
Going through the list as to what these big tech companies are currently doing, some are not using encryption and declined to give specifics, while others were adding those services and some were good to go.
The NPR further reveals that Apple encrypts messages when they travel to other iCloud that is @me.com and @mac.com accounts but not when these are shared with other accounts like Outlook or Gmail.
Hardware and software giant, Apple (AAPL), is stepping ahead to protect its iCloud customers.
Apple's iCloud email service is at present one of the very few that does not encrypt messages when they are exchanged with other providers. However, this will change very soon.
Apple plans to start encrypting its customers email when it goes from one provider to another and not just when email goes to iCloud. Although there is yet a timeline set as to when this will happen, techradar.com said.
The change adds on to Apple's existing encryption procedures, including encrypting "fingertip information" and emails that come from and land on devices running OS X Yosemite.
The report also says that the configuration files that lets the telecom company control aspects of how an iPhone works is also unencrypted. According to Apple, these updates are authenticated and cannot be changed. All pre-login browsing or shopping traffic from the Apple Store is unencrypted, including all HTML content, images and so on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney' For Nintendo 3DS Released On Aug. 29, 2014 In North America [WATCH VIDEO]
- SIMS 4 Missing Contents To Be Added Via DLC and New Details Unveiled From Livestream
- 5 Free Apps For Smartphones That Can Help Make You Look Beautiful
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares