Apple (AAPL) Assures Encryption Boost When iCloud Emails Go Between Other Providers
By Naveena Joy | June 17, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Advanced technology assuages us to store and share online. But there is no clear understanding or assurance whether the information you store in the cloud is indeed safe and impenetrable by a third party.
A worker climbs outside an Apple store in Hong Kong
The NPR reports that the answer to all this depends on what services is being used. The Electronic Frontier Foundation conducted a survey on big tech companies and asked them what kinds of encryption they have been using. Google has started citing email providers who were not encrypting email messages as they shared between companies.
Going through the list as to what these big tech companies are currently doing, some are not using encryption and declined to give specifics, while others were adding those services and some were good to go.
The NPR further reveals that Apple encrypts messages when they travel to other iCloud that is @me.com and @mac.com accounts but not when these are shared with other accounts like Outlook or Gmail.
Hardware and software giant, Apple (AAPL), is stepping ahead to protect its iCloud customers.
Apple's iCloud email service is at present one of the very few that does not encrypt messages when they are exchanged with other providers. However, this will change very soon.
Apple plans to start encrypting its customers email when it goes from one provider to another and not just when email goes to iCloud. Although there is yet a timeline set as to when this will happen, techradar.com said.
The change adds on to Apple's existing encryption procedures, including encrypting "fingertip information" and emails that come from and land on devices running OS X Yosemite.
The report also says that the configuration files that lets the telecom company control aspects of how an iPhone works is also unencrypted. According to Apple, these updates are authenticated and cannot be changed. All pre-login browsing or shopping traffic from the Apple Store is unencrypted, including all HTML content, images and so on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers