Apple (AAPL) Assures Encryption Boost When iCloud Emails Go Between Other Providers
By Naveena Joy | June 17, 2014 10:46 AM EST
Advanced technology assuages us to store and share online. But there is no clear understanding or assurance whether the information you store in the cloud is indeed safe and impenetrable by a third party.
A worker climbs outside an Apple store in Hong Kong
The NPR reports that the answer to all this depends on what services is being used. The Electronic Frontier Foundation conducted a survey on big tech companies and asked them what kinds of encryption they have been using. Google has started citing email providers who were not encrypting email messages as they shared between companies.
Going through the list as to what these big tech companies are currently doing, some are not using encryption and declined to give specifics, while others were adding those services and some were good to go.
The NPR further reveals that Apple encrypts messages when they travel to other iCloud that is @me.com and @mac.com accounts but not when these are shared with other accounts like Outlook or Gmail.
Hardware and software giant, Apple (AAPL), is stepping ahead to protect its iCloud customers.
Apple's iCloud email service is at present one of the very few that does not encrypt messages when they are exchanged with other providers. However, this will change very soon.
Apple plans to start encrypting its customers email when it goes from one provider to another and not just when email goes to iCloud. Although there is yet a timeline set as to when this will happen, techradar.com said.
The change adds on to Apple's existing encryption procedures, including encrypting "fingertip information" and emails that come from and land on devices running OS X Yosemite.
The report also says that the configuration files that lets the telecom company control aspects of how an iPhone works is also unencrypted. According to Apple, these updates are authenticated and cannot be changed. All pre-login browsing or shopping traffic from the Apple Store is unencrypted, including all HTML content, images and so on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'