FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #25 Switzerland vs. France
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 17, 2014 10:04 AM EST
Switzerland 2 France 5
France's Karim Benzema celebrates his goal against Honduras during their 2014 World Cup Group E soccer match at the Beira Rio stadium in Porto Alegre, June 15, 2014.
The twenty fifth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Switzerland and France. The Group E match should be interesting as both Switzerland and France know that a win in this match will take it to the next round. Moreover, both the teams will want to win the match to keep the possibility of finishing on top of the table as the second team on the table is possibly going to play against Argentina in the "group of 16."
Switzerland: Switzerland had a "photo-finish" against Ecuador as it scored the winning goal at 93 minutes. It played quality football against an opposition which matched it in almost every department. It was a great comeback by the Swiss team as it conceded a goal as Enner Valencia scored within 22 minutes. Coach Ottmar Hitzfeld's substitutions went miraculously well as Admir Mehmedi scored within 2 minutes after he entered the field in the second half. Another substitute Haris Seferovic scored the final goal with only 30 seconds left in the match.
France: France had an unceremonious exit in 2010 amid controversy. When it started its campaign in 2014 against Honduras, it was ranked 17th in the world. Not everyone expected highly of France but the former world champion knew what it was up to. It won emphatically against Honduras with the final score line 3-0. However, it could have been several more goals for France. Karim Benzema scored twice while the other goal was an "own goal" scored by Honduras goalkeeper Noel Valladares. France looked good enough to beat most teams in the tournament.
Head to Head
The long-time opponents played 36 times against each other. Switzerland won 12, France 15 while the other 9 ended in a draw. Total 120 goals were scored. France scored 62 of them, Switzerland 58.
Switzerland: Valon Behrami, Admir Mehmedi and Haris Seferovic
France: Olivier Giroud and Karim Benzema
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 20, which means it is 5 am on June 21 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador.
France will win it with a final score line 3-1. This is expected to be pretty evenly fought match even though the score may not suggest the same. The Swiss will fail to score more but France will not.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown