FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #23 Uruguay vs. England
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 17, 2014 9:41 AM EST
Uruguay 2 England 1
Uruguay's Diego Forlan reacts when the half time whistle is blown during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Costa Rica at the Castelao stadium in Fortaleza June 14, 2014.
The twenty third match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Uruguay and England. The Group D match should be interesting as both Uruguay and England know that a loss in this match will possibly ruin any dream of securing a place in the "group of 16" by winning this match. With both teams having lost one each, expect fireworks on the field.
Uruguay: Uruguay was a part of the first shocker of the tournament as it lost to Costa Rica which nobody hardly had any faith in. What the match did was that it cracked the table open for all four teams of the "Group of Death." The way Uruguay performed was shocking for many. You can either call it "just a bad day" for a brilliant team or ring the alarm bell for Óscar Tabárez's team. Even though striker Edinson Cavani was the first one to score against Costa Rica, it conceded too many goals. Uruguay is too good a team to let its fans down. However, a lot of improvement is required in a very short period. Diego Forlan has apparently taken the defeat against Costa Rica sportingly. He said that Uruguay could still win the next two and progress.
England: England lost its first match too. However, it lost against mighty Italy in spite of playing well. Wayne Rooney was instrumental in scoring the only goal it scored in that match. If he did not miss another at an important time, the score line could have been very different. Roy Hodgson indicated that Rooney might be moved back down the middle for the next match. England will be desperate for 3 points from this match. Any other result will leave its dream of qualifying for the next round to tremendous uncertainty. Captain Steven Gerrard, on the other hand, said that England's pace would cause serious problem for Uruguay.
Head to Head
These two teams played 10 times against each other before. Uruguay won 4, England 3 and the other 3 ended in a draw. Uruguay scored 13 goals and England 10.
Uruguay: Diego Forlan and Edinson Cavani
England: Wayne Rooney and Ross Barkley
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 19, which means it is 5 am on June 20 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.
As Rooney admitted, this will be a "do or die" match. It is true not only for England but for Uruguay also. Uruguay will forget about the last defeat and win it 3-2.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast