FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #23 Uruguay vs. England
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 17, 2014 9:41 AM EST
Uruguay 2 England 1
Uruguay's Diego Forlan reacts when the half time whistle is blown during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Costa Rica at the Castelao stadium in Fortaleza June 14, 2014.
The twenty third match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Uruguay and England. The Group D match should be interesting as both Uruguay and England know that a loss in this match will possibly ruin any dream of securing a place in the "group of 16" by winning this match. With both teams having lost one each, expect fireworks on the field.
Uruguay: Uruguay was a part of the first shocker of the tournament as it lost to Costa Rica which nobody hardly had any faith in. What the match did was that it cracked the table open for all four teams of the "Group of Death." The way Uruguay performed was shocking for many. You can either call it "just a bad day" for a brilliant team or ring the alarm bell for Óscar Tabárez's team. Even though striker Edinson Cavani was the first one to score against Costa Rica, it conceded too many goals. Uruguay is too good a team to let its fans down. However, a lot of improvement is required in a very short period. Diego Forlan has apparently taken the defeat against Costa Rica sportingly. He said that Uruguay could still win the next two and progress.
England: England lost its first match too. However, it lost against mighty Italy in spite of playing well. Wayne Rooney was instrumental in scoring the only goal it scored in that match. If he did not miss another at an important time, the score line could have been very different. Roy Hodgson indicated that Rooney might be moved back down the middle for the next match. England will be desperate for 3 points from this match. Any other result will leave its dream of qualifying for the next round to tremendous uncertainty. Captain Steven Gerrard, on the other hand, said that England's pace would cause serious problem for Uruguay.
Head to Head
These two teams played 10 times against each other before. Uruguay won 4, England 3 and the other 3 ended in a draw. Uruguay scored 13 goals and England 10.
Uruguay: Diego Forlan and Edinson Cavani
England: Wayne Rooney and Ross Barkley
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 19, which means it is 5 am on June 20 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.
As Rooney admitted, this will be a "do or die" match. It is true not only for England but for Uruguay also. Uruguay will forget about the last defeat and win it 3-2.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected