FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #23 Uruguay vs. England
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 17, 2014 9:41 AM EST
Uruguay 2 England 1
Uruguay's Diego Forlan reacts when the half time whistle is blown during the 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match between Uruguay and Costa Rica at the Castelao stadium in Fortaleza June 14, 2014.
The twenty third match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Uruguay and England. The Group D match should be interesting as both Uruguay and England know that a loss in this match will possibly ruin any dream of securing a place in the "group of 16" by winning this match. With both teams having lost one each, expect fireworks on the field.
Uruguay: Uruguay was a part of the first shocker of the tournament as it lost to Costa Rica which nobody hardly had any faith in. What the match did was that it cracked the table open for all four teams of the "Group of Death." The way Uruguay performed was shocking for many. You can either call it "just a bad day" for a brilliant team or ring the alarm bell for Óscar Tabárez's team. Even though striker Edinson Cavani was the first one to score against Costa Rica, it conceded too many goals. Uruguay is too good a team to let its fans down. However, a lot of improvement is required in a very short period. Diego Forlan has apparently taken the defeat against Costa Rica sportingly. He said that Uruguay could still win the next two and progress.
England: England lost its first match too. However, it lost against mighty Italy in spite of playing well. Wayne Rooney was instrumental in scoring the only goal it scored in that match. If he did not miss another at an important time, the score line could have been very different. Roy Hodgson indicated that Rooney might be moved back down the middle for the next match. England will be desperate for 3 points from this match. Any other result will leave its dream of qualifying for the next round to tremendous uncertainty. Captain Steven Gerrard, on the other hand, said that England's pace would cause serious problem for Uruguay.
Head to Head
These two teams played 10 times against each other before. Uruguay won 4, England 3 and the other 3 ended in a draw. Uruguay scored 13 goals and England 10.
Uruguay: Diego Forlan and Edinson Cavani
England: Wayne Rooney and Ross Barkley
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 19, which means it is 5 am on June 20 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.
As Rooney admitted, this will be a "do or die" match. It is true not only for England but for Uruguay also. Uruguay will forget about the last defeat and win it 3-2.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert