Top 5 Knockout Features of Apple iOS 8
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 17, 2014 8:52 AM EST
Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2014 introduced a wide range of software and hardware enhancements, and many new features. Even though, the new features and enhancements introduced in iOS 8 have already shattered expectations, there are several features that were overlooked.
A woman looks at the screen of her mobile phone in front of an Apple logo outside its store in downtown Shanghai September 10, 2013.
1. Credit Card Scanning via iPhone Camera
Credit card scanning is one of the peculiar features introduced in iOS 8. With the help of the web browser Safari, users can now utilize the phone camera to scan the credit card numbers when making online payments. Hence, there is no need to manually type down the long credit card numbers.
2. Send Location Details Just Before Battery Drains Out
This feature enables the iPhone to automatically send the last known location details to Apple when the device battery drains to a crucial level. In specific, when a user loses his/her iPhone, this feature will allow the iPhone or iPad to send the valuable information of the last known device location to Apple. Even though, Apple iCloud has the capability to hold this information for 24 hours currently, this new feature will allow Apple to hold the location information for longer period of time.
3. Wi-Fi Calling Feature
Many mobile network carriers allow users to make cellular phone calls over Wi-Fi. This particular feature is very handy especially when the user is outside the network coverage area. However, Apple iPhones did not support this feature thus far. But iOS 8 has introduced this new feature in the upcoming iPhone 6.
4. Battery Usage Breakdown by Individual Apps
Apple's battery woes are well known and iPhone users across the globe would vouch for this. Nevertheless, Apple has taken the user feedback seriously and introduced battery usage breakdown per app feature in iOS 8. Users can now navigate to the settings and can ascertain which particular app is draining the battery. This way, the unused apps that are draining the iPhone battery can be turned off.
5. Photo/Camera App Enhancements
The 'Photos app' has gone through some much-required changes. The app now boasts two separate albums for "Recently Added" and "Recently Deleted" photos. The "Recently Deleted" section/album temporarily lists out the pictures that were deleted from the app. In addition, the iOS 8 camera app now features independent exposure and focus control, self-timer support, time-lapse videos and panoramic photos on iPad.
What do you think of these features? Feel free to leave a comment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report