Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Posts Sexist Remarks About Women Trashy Dressing; Drives Around Miami in Ferrari 458 Without Seatbelt
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 8:37 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer is known for being generous to women. When he was still in a relationship with Shantel Jackson, he showered her with expensive gifts such as jewellery, a luxurious apartment and a car.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. is seen during a media workout at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas
However, he could also be mean, which is evident what happened after he split from Jackson as well as a new post he made on Instagram where he wrote, "How a female dresses is her advertisement. If a female shows half of her body, she's asking to be disrespected. If she dresses classy, expect to be treated like a lady. How you're addressed lies on your attire. Sexy is a spirit, not an outfit."
Cosmopolitan finds the post sexist, pointing out that the boxer is placing all the blame on women and is suggesting wrongly that "clothing conveys intention." The magazine for females also noted that Mayweather has also done some of the things he wrote about such as posting his half-naked photos and in a bubble bath.
In a strongly worded conclusion, Cosmopolitan hoped that Money May would rethink his postings and apologise for it or at least delete the post which it considers offensive. "No one should be making decrees about what groups of people should and should not do, and as a man Mayweather has no business telling women how to dress. It's his view regarding clothing that needs to be changed, not the clothing itself," the magazine stressed.
Some magazine readers defended the boxer. Clara Le Leu noted that Mayweather's pal, Justin Bieber, often receives crap for dressing like a "douche bag," while men who wear short shorts are labeled as gays even if they are straight. "There is just as much judgment and criticism passed on how men dress. Women are just trying to excuse dressing inappropriately because they don't want to admit that they are trying to get attention," she wrote.
But Pascale C-Slate found it a hypocrisy that "If sexy is a spirit, not an outfit, why is respect based on my outfit, not my spirit."
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail posted a video of Mayweather riding around Miami in his white Ferrari 458 Spider, followed by a similar model but black car, while not wearing a seatbelt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2