Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Posts Sexist Remarks About Women Trashy Dressing; Drives Around Miami in Ferrari 458 Without Seatbelt
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 8:37 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer is known for being generous to women. When he was still in a relationship with Shantel Jackson, he showered her with expensive gifts such as jewellery, a luxurious apartment and a car.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. is seen during a media workout at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas
However, he could also be mean, which is evident what happened after he split from Jackson as well as a new post he made on Instagram where he wrote, "How a female dresses is her advertisement. If a female shows half of her body, she's asking to be disrespected. If she dresses classy, expect to be treated like a lady. How you're addressed lies on your attire. Sexy is a spirit, not an outfit."
Cosmopolitan finds the post sexist, pointing out that the boxer is placing all the blame on women and is suggesting wrongly that "clothing conveys intention." The magazine for females also noted that Mayweather has also done some of the things he wrote about such as posting his half-naked photos and in a bubble bath.
In a strongly worded conclusion, Cosmopolitan hoped that Money May would rethink his postings and apologise for it or at least delete the post which it considers offensive. "No one should be making decrees about what groups of people should and should not do, and as a man Mayweather has no business telling women how to dress. It's his view regarding clothing that needs to be changed, not the clothing itself," the magazine stressed.
Some magazine readers defended the boxer. Clara Le Leu noted that Mayweather's pal, Justin Bieber, often receives crap for dressing like a "douche bag," while men who wear short shorts are labeled as gays even if they are straight. "There is just as much judgment and criticism passed on how men dress. Women are just trying to excuse dressing inappropriately because they don't want to admit that they are trying to get attention," she wrote.
But Pascale C-Slate found it a hypocrisy that "If sexy is a spirit, not an outfit, why is respect based on my outfit, not my spirit."
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail posted a video of Mayweather riding around Miami in his white Ferrari 458 Spider, followed by a similar model but black car, while not wearing a seatbelt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members