World Cup Update: Casillas Takes the Blame for Spain's Crushing Defeat to Holland
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 17, 2014 8:36 AM EST
Defending FIFA World Cup Champions Spain suffered a crushing defeat in the opening match of their title defence last Friday. La Furia Roja went down in flames in the hands of The Netherlands who were incidentally, the side they defeated in 2010 to clinch the title. The final score was 5-1 in a match that could have easily ended 8-1 in the eyes of many observers. Even Legendary Argentine player Diego Maradona commented that Spain were weak and a lot of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of captain Iker Casillas. Maradona event went as far as saying that Jose Mourinho is justified for benching Casillas in Real Madrid's La Liga games when Mourinho was still there.
Iker Casillas reacts after the Netherlands score a goal in their match against Spain in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil
Casilas, instead of fighting back, is taking a huge chunk of humble pie and is quick to reflect on what has happened and admit his part in the disaster as reported by Marca.com.
"Now we have to be quiet, reflect and think about the next match against Chile, which we will approach like a final. We owe the fans an apology, myself first and foremost. We have to accept all the criticism that will come our way and forget what happened as soon as possible," said Casillas.
The Spanish team managed to score first through a penalty kick taken by Xabi Alonso after Diego Costa was taken down in the box. It all went downhill from there and Casillas was made to scramble and fumble his was across his goal line eventually letting through five goals.
Casillas took responsibility and is ready to think positive and look ahead to the next match instead of dwelling on the loss: "I wasn't up to scratch and I accept that. We weren't at the races, starting with myself. Now all we can do is focus on the next game. I accept the blame. We have to think about the next match. Our heads dropped when they scored the third goal."
This puts Casillas' authority over the team in jeopardy and Vicente del Bosque might need to make some tough decisions soon to determine his captain's fate. In a similarly poor showing, Casillas nearly caused Real Madrid the UEFA Champions League Trophy when he let a lobbed goal through after he was caught off the line. Speculations have thereafter risen that his position at Real Madrid might also be in jeopardy.
Despite the worldwide criticism after the defending champions were slaughtered by the Dutch, Casillas claims they can recover and bounce back. The team also lost their opening match in 2010 against Switzerland before going on to win the entire tournament albeit not as badly as this loss. The team will once again attempt emerge from a first match loss and come out with guns blazing.
"We're mature enough to take the criticism. We have to face the music," ended Casillas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date