New British Technology Ditches Dentist’s Drill
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 8:35 AM EST
Many people who harbor fear of the dentist carry their phobia into their adult years because of the extreme pain caused by the dentist's drill, which they experienced during childhood visits to the tooth doctor.
British researchers at the King's College in London are developing a technology that would be less invasive and painful by having the decayed tooth repair itself. They are developing the Electrically Accelerated and Enhanced Remineralisation (EAER), which speeds up calcium and phosphate minerals' natural movement into the damaged tooth.
It works by first preparing the damaged area of enamel and using tiny electrical current to push minerals into the repair site. This process remineralises the tooth painlessly, minus the need to place fillings, inject or drill which is done to remove decaying and infected material. Once these materials are removed, the dentist then replace it with fillings such as amalgam or composite resin.
Professor Nigel Pitts from King's College admits that the present way of treating teeth is far from ideal because the tooth enters a cycle of drilling and re-filling. But the new technology, expected to be available within three years, would be kinder to the patient and better for their teeth and cost-effective as well.
The college has tapped a spin-off company called Reminova, based in Perth, Australia, to commercialise the research. The firm is currently seeking investors for the new technology.
The pain of dental drills has caused an estimated 25 per cent of people to develop a fear of going to the dentist, and it is that fear which the new technology seeks to address by removing the pain in treating decayed teeth.
YouTube/The Ad Show
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28