Petra Diamonds Unearths Rare 122.52 Carats Blue Diamond in South Africa With Estimated Value of £60 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 17, 2014 8:31 AM EST
Petra Diamonds Press Release
An exceptional 29.6 carat blue diamond recovered at the Cullinan mine in January 2014 (Petra Diamonds Press Release)
The miner said it would analyse the rock before it would place it on the market after the end of June. It is expected to break the world record for the most expensive diamond for a 506-carat white stone sold at $35.3 million, New York Post reports.
The Cullinan mine is known for producing very large gems, but an industry nsider insider told Daily Mail that it is rare to unearth a blue stone that weights more than 100 carats. It was where the world's largest white diamond, weighing 3,106 carats, was unearthed in 1905.
It was initially discarded by the mine manager who thought it was too big to be a diamond but was eventually recovered and presented to King Edward VII in 1907. The centerpieces of the Crown Jewels came from that diamond.
A typical engagement ring often has a centerpiece diamond that usually weighs about on carat, and it is usually white.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine