NBA Free Agency News: Dirk Nowitzki Wants Carmelo Anthony in Dallas
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 8:00 AM EST
The Dallas Mavericks have the cap space to chase a big name free agent in this offseason. Their leader and star veteran Dirk Nowitzki is doing his part in the recruitment wooing New York Knicks star forward Carmelo Anthony in a radio show on Monday.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
"If Carmelo would really love to come here, we'd love to have him," said the 35-year-old German via Dallas radio 103.5 The Fan.
"Listen, I think I've showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody. The only tough season I think we've had is when we had [Antawn] Jamison and Antoine Walker and myself who are all three kind of the same four-men, but other than that I think I've shown over my career that I can play with anybody,” added Nowitzki, addressing issues that he and Melo can not co-exist.
“I'll adjust, whether I have to get out of the way or go to the corner more, post up, pass. I'll do whatever, really, that needs to be done out there to win or for this franchise to be a winner."
Nowitzki is entering his 17th NBA season with the Mavericks, who are one of the teams with the ability to spend in this offseason mainly because of the German’s willingness to take a pay cut.
Nowitzki was paid roughly $22M for the 2013-2014 season but has an expiring contract and is set for a new deal.
Only Monta Ellis ($9.08M) and Jose Calderon ($7.4M) are the notable players under contract next season for Dallas, which is projected to have over $30M in cap space, which they can use to sign free agents like Anthony.
Anthony is reportedly not opting-in of his final year of contract with the New York Knicks and has drawn the interest of the Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls among other teams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools