NBA Free Agency News: Dirk Nowitzki Wants Carmelo Anthony in Dallas
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 8:00 AM EST
The Dallas Mavericks have the cap space to chase a big name free agent in this offseason. Their leader and star veteran Dirk Nowitzki is doing his part in the recruitment wooing New York Knicks star forward Carmelo Anthony in a radio show on Monday.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
"If Carmelo would really love to come here, we'd love to have him," said the 35-year-old German via Dallas radio 103.5 The Fan.
"Listen, I think I've showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody. The only tough season I think we've had is when we had [Antawn] Jamison and Antoine Walker and myself who are all three kind of the same four-men, but other than that I think I've shown over my career that I can play with anybody,” added Nowitzki, addressing issues that he and Melo can not co-exist.
“I'll adjust, whether I have to get out of the way or go to the corner more, post up, pass. I'll do whatever, really, that needs to be done out there to win or for this franchise to be a winner."
Nowitzki is entering his 17th NBA season with the Mavericks, who are one of the teams with the ability to spend in this offseason mainly because of the German’s willingness to take a pay cut.
Nowitzki was paid roughly $22M for the 2013-2014 season but has an expiring contract and is set for a new deal.
Only Monta Ellis ($9.08M) and Jose Calderon ($7.4M) are the notable players under contract next season for Dallas, which is projected to have over $30M in cap space, which they can use to sign free agents like Anthony.
Anthony is reportedly not opting-in of his final year of contract with the New York Knicks and has drawn the interest of the Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls among other teams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles