World Cup Live Stream: Iran vs. Nigeria Preview, Schedule and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 17, 2014 5:25 AM EST
Iran's players run during a training session of the Arena Baixada soccer stadium in Curitiba, June 15, 2014. The stadium will host the first of four 2014 World Cup matches on June 16.
Team Melli is the underdog in this match-up at 3.32 to win the match while the Super Eagles are priced at 1.30 to get full three points.
Iran battles not only the Nigerians and their group-mates as they have some internal distractions to tackle as well.
“Before crucial qualifying games against Qatar and South Korea, which were played in extreme conditions of humidity, the equipment delivered was not proper. This could have put Iran out of the World Cup,” shared Iran manager Carlos Queiroz in a The Guardian article.
“It has been alleged, was to order poor-quality kit that the federation president, Ali Kafashian, has advised players to wash in cold water to prevent shrinkage. Players have also been asked not to exchange shirts with the likes of Lionel Messi because replacements are in short supply,” stated in the same report.
“When Queiroz first called me up, I accepted straight away. It is a huge honour to be brought into the national set-up by such a great coach,” shared goalkeeper Daniel Davari in the tournament’s official website. “Queiroz gives off positive vibes. I’ve worked with many different coaches in Germany, and I’ve seen a lot of things, but I’ve really benefitted from Queiroz’s experience.”
Nigeria haven’t had any kind of momentum entering their opening assignment— they lost to the United States of America and drew with Scotland and Greece in friendly matches before their trip to Brazil.
Potential Starting 11:
Nigeria (4-3-3): Vincent Enyeama; Juwon Oshaniwa, Godfrey Obabona, Kenneth Omeruo, Efe Ambrose; John Obi Mikel, Ogenyi Onazi, Ramon Azeez; Victor Moses, Emmanuel Emenike, Ahmed Musa
Iran (4-4-1-1): Daniel Davari; Mehrdad Pooladi, Amir Sadeghi, Jalal Hosseini, Steven Beitashour; Masoud Shojaei, Jevad Nekounam, Andranik Teymourian, Alireza Jahanbakhsh; Ashkan Dejagah; Reza Ghoochannejhad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’