Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and Other Nexus Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Problems Arise, Quick Fixes
By Precious Silva | June 16, 2014 11:37 PM EST
Google's Android 4.4.3 KitKat update became a much anticipated firmware especially since the initial KitKat updates brought bugs and other problems. The Android 4.4.3 firmware promised to be bug-fixing software more than adding features. However, recent reports from Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 users suggest that the update may have brought more bugs instead of fixes. It may be true for other devices to be updated with Android 4.4.3.
A Google Android figurine sits on the welcome desk as employee Tracy McNeilly smiles at the new Google office in Toronto, November 13, 2012.
According to AndroidPIT, the bugs can be observed from different Nexus devices especially with the Nexus 4 users experiencing more than a few. Some of the reported problems include auto-brightness controls, WiFi connection and random reboot bug. As for the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, problems include notification glitches and battery drain.
Among the Nexus devices, it appears the Nexus 5 also got a significant share of problems under Android 4.4.3. Aside from the lagging dialer, WiFi has also been patchy. Load the Game enumerates in detail Android 4.4.3 issues:
- No contacts - call history shows a black screen including all contacts. Users reported not seeing who called them and viewing any searched contact. Although the slider is available, people cannot see any details. Call history sometimes work but it does not always provide call records.
- Dialer crash - when users access the keypad and try to dial a number, the phone displays the contact names. However, the dialer crashes with the device offering a crash prompt. There are also reports claiming that people experience huge gaps between knowing who are calling them and their names coming up when they make a call.
- Battery drain - this has been a prevalent issue throughout Android KitKat update versions and it seems Google cannot quite get it. People still complain about battery drains following software update.
Most of the problems mentioned can be solved by booting the handset or unit to Safe Mode. This will disable third party applications temporarily. Often, problems can be caused by corrupted files or third party incompatibility. If there are problems with Google Play Store, these can be fixed through the following: Settings>Device>Apps>Google Play Store> Clear Cache. People will have to wait for other updates if some of these fixes do not work. It is also best to contact network support for clarifications.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO