World Cup 2014: England Boss Dares Uruguay's Liverpool Striker to 'Show Up'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 16, 2014 8:39 PM EST
England boss Roy Hodgson dared Uruguay striker Luis Suarez to "show up," ahead of the two countries' World Cup clash on Thursday.
The Liverpool man did not take part in their opening game 3-1 loss against Costa Rica due to concerns over his knee, but may feature against the Three Lions.
Uruguay's Suarez reacts on the bench after their team conceded a goal to Costa Rica during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Castelao stadium in Fortaleza
"You can be a great player in your league but to be recognised as one of the all-time greats you have got to do it at the World Cup," said the former Inter Milan manager.
"He has got the potential. He is a wonderful footballer."
Perhaps it is just Hodgson's way of putting pressure on Suarez, who enjoyed a spectacular 2013/14 season with the Merseyside outfit, tallying 31 goals and 12 assists, and more importantly, helping them get back to the Champions League.
"If you are really going to put him up there with (Diego) Maradona, Pele, (Franz) Beckenbauer and (Johan) Cruyff and (Andrea) Pirlo, this is the stage you have got to do it on," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Emmys 2014 Projected Winners: Betting Odds Favour “Orange is the New Black”, “Breaking Bad”
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza