World Cup 2014: England Boss Dares Uruguay's Liverpool Striker to 'Show Up'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 16, 2014 8:39 PM EST
England boss Roy Hodgson dared Uruguay striker Luis Suarez to "show up," ahead of the two countries' World Cup clash on Thursday.
The Liverpool man did not take part in their opening game 3-1 loss against Costa Rica due to concerns over his knee, but may feature against the Three Lions.
Uruguay's Suarez reacts on the bench after their team conceded a goal to Costa Rica during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Castelao stadium in Fortaleza
"You can be a great player in your league but to be recognised as one of the all-time greats you have got to do it at the World Cup," said the former Inter Milan manager.
"He has got the potential. He is a wonderful footballer."
Perhaps it is just Hodgson's way of putting pressure on Suarez, who enjoyed a spectacular 2013/14 season with the Merseyside outfit, tallying 31 goals and 12 assists, and more importantly, helping them get back to the Champions League.
"If you are really going to put him up there with (Diego) Maradona, Pele, (Franz) Beckenbauer and (Johan) Cruyff and (Andrea) Pirlo, this is the stage you have got to do it on," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation