World Cup 2014: England Boss Dares Uruguay's Liverpool Striker to 'Show Up'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 16, 2014 8:39 PM EST
England boss Roy Hodgson dared Uruguay striker Luis Suarez to "show up," ahead of the two countries' World Cup clash on Thursday.
The Liverpool man did not take part in their opening game 3-1 loss against Costa Rica due to concerns over his knee, but may feature against the Three Lions.
Uruguay's Suarez reacts on the bench after their team conceded a goal to Costa Rica during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Castelao stadium in Fortaleza
"You can be a great player in your league but to be recognised as one of the all-time greats you have got to do it at the World Cup," said the former Inter Milan manager.
"He has got the potential. He is a wonderful footballer."
Perhaps it is just Hodgson's way of putting pressure on Suarez, who enjoyed a spectacular 2013/14 season with the Merseyside outfit, tallying 31 goals and 12 assists, and more importantly, helping them get back to the Champions League.
"If you are really going to put him up there with (Diego) Maradona, Pele, (Franz) Beckenbauer and (Johan) Cruyff and (Andrea) Pirlo, this is the stage you have got to do it on," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes