'Inside HBO's Game of Thrones' Author To Write Script For 'Magic: The Gathering' Movie
By Tanya Diente | June 16, 2014 6:13 PM EST
With the success of "Game of Thrones," it is inevitable that Bryan Cogman, its producer, story editor and author of "Inside HBO's Game of Thrones," will soon be taking over the fantasy realm in features. Cogman has been hired by Fox to write the script for the movie adaptation of ''Magic: The Gathering."
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode.
A Deadline report said the new movie will have an adaptation under 20th Century Fox. The report added "Game of Thrones'" Cogman has been hired by Fox to work alongside Simon Kinberg (X-Men, Fantastic Four) in developing the story.
According to the report, Fox acquired the rights to turn "Magic: The Gathering" into a possible movie franchise under the production of Hasbro, which bought the company in 1999, and Fox-based Producer Simon Kinberg. The producers and Bryan Cogman have such a huge fantasy world to play with and the studio hopes to turn it into an epic franchise like "Lord of the Rings," Geektyrant cited.
Cogman, according to Wikipedia, has written five episodes for "Game of Thrones." In Season 1, he wrote "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things." In Season 2, he drafted "What Is Dead May Never Die and in Season 3 "Kissed by Fire." In Season 4, he wrote two episodes, "Oathkeeper" and "The Laws of Gods and Men," which had Tyrion Lannister up on a trial, The Verge reported.
He was also the author of "Inside HBO's Game of Thrones," featuring a preface by "A Song of Ice and Fire" Author George R.R. Martin.
Although work he has started on ''Magic: The Gathering," an actual film is still a ways out, The Verge reported. There's no director attached to the movie yet and it seems like Fox is also in no hurry to get "Magic: The Gathering" on the big screen. Still, a fantasy movie from a "Game of Thrones" writer is apparently an interesting prospect.
"Magic: The Gathering" is a fantasy based card game introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. It became a raging geek success and hatched a collectible-trading-card-game movement, Deadline reported.
The new movie consists of several races of humans and creatures that vary in strength. The players use special weapons and magic spells with these characters to battle each other.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal