Canada's 150th Anniversary in 2017: Top 10 'Greatest' Heroes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 16, 2014 4:59 PM EST
The Canadians, in commemoration of their country's 150th birthday in 2017, have handed a list to their government the top 10 greatest heroes that they consider worthy to be recognized.
Compiled from online consultations, the list featured some of the Conservative party's greatest adversaries, past and present:
1. Former Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau
2. Marathon-of-hope Runner Terry Fox
3. NDP Leader Tommy Douglas
4. Former Liberal Prime Minister Lester Pearson
5. Astronaut Chris Hadfield
6. Environmental Activist David Suzuki
7. NDP Leader Jack Layton
8. Canada's First Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald
9. Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky
10. Romeo Dallaire, a soldier and Liberal senator who recently announced his resignation
The online consultation, participated by 12,000 which began in December 2011 and closed in May. Also, they asked respondents, "What makes you most proud to be a Canadian?"
The replies generated were medicare at number one, peacekeeping at number two, then the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms at number 3.
Shelly Glover, Canadian Heritage Department minister, said the exercise was simply to consult Canadians on how they would want to celebrate 2017. She noted the top 10 list for an April 29 briefing note won't be the last. "We have no intention of making a kind of final list."
The Canadian Press managed to get a copy of the briefing note and related documents under the Access to Information Act.
"Every community is going to have their own personal list. . . . We will not be telling people whom they ought to be celebrating."
"The consultations were not partisan in any way shape or form," Glover told the Canadian Press.
Canada has yet to finalize its budget and "overall theme and focus" for its 2017 celebrations.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories