Canada's 150th Anniversary in 2017: Top 10 'Greatest' Heroes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 16, 2014 4:59 PM EST
The Canadians, in commemoration of their country's 150th birthday in 2017, have handed a list to their government the top 10 greatest heroes that they consider worthy to be recognized.
Compiled from online consultations, the list featured some of the Conservative party's greatest adversaries, past and present:
1. Former Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau
2. Marathon-of-hope Runner Terry Fox
3. NDP Leader Tommy Douglas
4. Former Liberal Prime Minister Lester Pearson
5. Astronaut Chris Hadfield
6. Environmental Activist David Suzuki
7. NDP Leader Jack Layton
8. Canada's First Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald
9. Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky
10. Romeo Dallaire, a soldier and Liberal senator who recently announced his resignation
The online consultation, participated by 12,000 which began in December 2011 and closed in May. Also, they asked respondents, "What makes you most proud to be a Canadian?"
The replies generated were medicare at number one, peacekeeping at number two, then the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms at number 3.
Shelly Glover, Canadian Heritage Department minister, said the exercise was simply to consult Canadians on how they would want to celebrate 2017. She noted the top 10 list for an April 29 briefing note won't be the last. "We have no intention of making a kind of final list."
The Canadian Press managed to get a copy of the briefing note and related documents under the Access to Information Act.
"Every community is going to have their own personal list. . . . We will not be telling people whom they ought to be celebrating."
"The consultations were not partisan in any way shape or form," Glover told the Canadian Press.
Canada has yet to finalize its budget and "overall theme and focus" for its 2017 celebrations.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- Health Virus Alert: Canadians Urged to Watch Out Against Rare Enterovirus D68; 3 Cases Confirmed in B.C., 18 in Alberta
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet