Canada's 150th Anniversary in 2017: Top 10 'Greatest' Heroes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 16, 2014 4:59 PM EST
The Canadians, in commemoration of their country's 150th birthday in 2017, have handed a list to their government the top 10 greatest heroes that they consider worthy to be recognized.
Compiled from online consultations, the list featured some of the Conservative party's greatest adversaries, past and present:
1. Former Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau
2. Marathon-of-hope Runner Terry Fox
3. NDP Leader Tommy Douglas
4. Former Liberal Prime Minister Lester Pearson
5. Astronaut Chris Hadfield
6. Environmental Activist David Suzuki
7. NDP Leader Jack Layton
8. Canada's First Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald
9. Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky
10. Romeo Dallaire, a soldier and Liberal senator who recently announced his resignation
The online consultation, participated by 12,000 which began in December 2011 and closed in May. Also, they asked respondents, "What makes you most proud to be a Canadian?"
The replies generated were medicare at number one, peacekeeping at number two, then the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms at number 3.
Shelly Glover, Canadian Heritage Department minister, said the exercise was simply to consult Canadians on how they would want to celebrate 2017. She noted the top 10 list for an April 29 briefing note won't be the last. "We have no intention of making a kind of final list."
The Canadian Press managed to get a copy of the briefing note and related documents under the Access to Information Act.
"Every community is going to have their own personal list. . . . We will not be telling people whom they ought to be celebrating."
"The consultations were not partisan in any way shape or form," Glover told the Canadian Press.
Canada has yet to finalize its budget and "overall theme and focus" for its 2017 celebrations.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan