Samsung Galaxy S4 Top 10 Methods to Boost Overall Speed and Performance
By Ryan Inoyori | June 16, 2014 4:43 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S4 sports higher hardware specs than Galaxy S3 but users can still suffer from occasional lags and sluggish performance. If you are one of those users, check out these tips to improve speed and performance of the Galaxy S4.
App windows feature transitions during opening, closing or switching which affect speed. Users can minimise the animation to make the device snappier. Go to Settings > Developer Options then select the options for transition and animator scales.
Widgets on Lock Screen
Instead of putting widgets on the home screen, set them on the lock screen. Aside from the effort saved from unlocking the device, lock screen widgets can display the activity and will take users directly to the app when accessed. Go to Settings > About Device > Lock Screen > Shortcuts.
Speeding Up Home Key
S Voice is a good feature, but Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android KitKat also sports Google Now for queries—no need to use both all the time. The home key slows down if the S Voice is linked to it. In addition, users who desire a speedy home button reaction, launch the S Voice > Settings > Uncheck the "Open Via The Home Key."
Faster Camera Access
Instead of unlocking the smartphone and then looking for the camera shortcut on the home screen, users can put the camera shortcut on the lock screen. Users can set it as a widget so they can access it quickly without going to the home screen. Go to Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Shortcuts > Choose the Camera.
Removing Light Effect
By default, the Galaxy S4's lock screen features a light effect when users unlock it. The graphics create a dramatic effect which takes a longer time when unlocking the screen. For a snappier effect, go to Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Unlock Effect > None.
Slow Image Loading
The gallery app may slow down if there are too many pictures stored as indexing takes time. Users can transfer some of them to a computer to relieve some strain on the Galaxy S4 and prevent any data loss if something happens on the device.
Using the SD Card for Apps
Users whose devices are still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean or lower can transfer some apps to the SD card. Some apps can be moved to the external storage. Transferring apps can be useful for large-sized applications. For Android KitKat, users need to root their smartphones and download a specific app due to a restriction implemented by Google.
Selective Galaxy S Features
If all features of the Galaxy S4 are active and running at the same time, expect too many ongoing processes to slow down the device. Users can select the features they use often and disable others to help the memory to breathe and reduce power consumption.
Remove Unnecessary Files
Galaxy S4 owners can use the File Manager pre-installed on the smartphone to remove files from non-system folders or Bluetooth. They can delete the cache files of apps and uninstall those no longer in use. Some apps can eat up to 50 MB on the memory which can severe performance and multitasking.
Dealing with Native Apps
Some apps are non-removable but can be disabled including bloatware from Google and Samsung. Go to Settings > Application Manager > All tab > Select the Apps. Users can disable apps including Google Maps, Google Newsstand, Google Movies and more to prevent them from eating memory. Galaxy S4 owners may also need to uninstall the updates first before any disabling can be accomplished.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date