Samsung Galaxy S4 Top 10 Methods to Boost Overall Speed and Performance
By Ryan Inoyori | June 16, 2014 4:43 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S4 sports higher hardware specs than Galaxy S3 but users can still suffer from occasional lags and sluggish performance. If you are one of those users, check out these tips to improve speed and performance of the Galaxy S4.
App windows feature transitions during opening, closing or switching which affect speed. Users can minimise the animation to make the device snappier. Go to Settings > Developer Options then select the options for transition and animator scales.
Widgets on Lock Screen
Instead of putting widgets on the home screen, set them on the lock screen. Aside from the effort saved from unlocking the device, lock screen widgets can display the activity and will take users directly to the app when accessed. Go to Settings > About Device > Lock Screen > Shortcuts.
Speeding Up Home Key
S Voice is a good feature, but Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android KitKat also sports Google Now for queries—no need to use both all the time. The home key slows down if the S Voice is linked to it. In addition, users who desire a speedy home button reaction, launch the S Voice > Settings > Uncheck the "Open Via The Home Key."
Faster Camera Access
Instead of unlocking the smartphone and then looking for the camera shortcut on the home screen, users can put the camera shortcut on the lock screen. Users can set it as a widget so they can access it quickly without going to the home screen. Go to Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Shortcuts > Choose the Camera.
Removing Light Effect
By default, the Galaxy S4's lock screen features a light effect when users unlock it. The graphics create a dramatic effect which takes a longer time when unlocking the screen. For a snappier effect, go to Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Unlock Effect > None.
Slow Image Loading
The gallery app may slow down if there are too many pictures stored as indexing takes time. Users can transfer some of them to a computer to relieve some strain on the Galaxy S4 and prevent any data loss if something happens on the device.
Using the SD Card for Apps
Users whose devices are still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean or lower can transfer some apps to the SD card. Some apps can be moved to the external storage. Transferring apps can be useful for large-sized applications. For Android KitKat, users need to root their smartphones and download a specific app due to a restriction implemented by Google.
Selective Galaxy S Features
If all features of the Galaxy S4 are active and running at the same time, expect too many ongoing processes to slow down the device. Users can select the features they use often and disable others to help the memory to breathe and reduce power consumption.
Remove Unnecessary Files
Galaxy S4 owners can use the File Manager pre-installed on the smartphone to remove files from non-system folders or Bluetooth. They can delete the cache files of apps and uninstall those no longer in use. Some apps can eat up to 50 MB on the memory which can severe performance and multitasking.
Dealing with Native Apps
Some apps are non-removable but can be disabled including bloatware from Google and Samsung. Go to Settings > Application Manager > All tab > Select the Apps. Users can disable apps including Google Maps, Google Newsstand, Google Movies and more to prevent them from eating memory. Galaxy S4 owners may also need to uninstall the updates first before any disabling can be accomplished.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Tips For LG Nexus 5: Notifications, Accessibility, Privacy And Saving Battery
- Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy Note 5 And Sony Xperia Z4: Top Things Unveiled So Far
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Apple Watch: Works Only With The iPhone And The Confusing Apple WatchKit Software
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit