Samsung Galaxy S4 Top 10 Methods to Boost Overall Speed and Performance
By Ryan Inoyori | June 16, 2014 4:43 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S4 sports higher hardware specs than Galaxy S3 but users can still suffer from occasional lags and sluggish performance. If you are one of those users, check out these tips to improve speed and performance of the Galaxy S4.
App windows feature transitions during opening, closing or switching which affect speed. Users can minimise the animation to make the device snappier. Go to Settings > Developer Options then select the options for transition and animator scales.
Widgets on Lock Screen
Instead of putting widgets on the home screen, set them on the lock screen. Aside from the effort saved from unlocking the device, lock screen widgets can display the activity and will take users directly to the app when accessed. Go to Settings > About Device > Lock Screen > Shortcuts.
Speeding Up Home Key
S Voice is a good feature, but Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android KitKat also sports Google Now for queries—no need to use both all the time. The home key slows down if the S Voice is linked to it. In addition, users who desire a speedy home button reaction, launch the S Voice > Settings > Uncheck the "Open Via The Home Key."
Faster Camera Access
Instead of unlocking the smartphone and then looking for the camera shortcut on the home screen, users can put the camera shortcut on the lock screen. Users can set it as a widget so they can access it quickly without going to the home screen. Go to Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Shortcuts > Choose the Camera.
Removing Light Effect
By default, the Galaxy S4's lock screen features a light effect when users unlock it. The graphics create a dramatic effect which takes a longer time when unlocking the screen. For a snappier effect, go to Settings > My Device > Lock Screen > Unlock Effect > None.
Slow Image Loading
The gallery app may slow down if there are too many pictures stored as indexing takes time. Users can transfer some of them to a computer to relieve some strain on the Galaxy S4 and prevent any data loss if something happens on the device.
Using the SD Card for Apps
Users whose devices are still running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean or lower can transfer some apps to the SD card. Some apps can be moved to the external storage. Transferring apps can be useful for large-sized applications. For Android KitKat, users need to root their smartphones and download a specific app due to a restriction implemented by Google.
Selective Galaxy S Features
If all features of the Galaxy S4 are active and running at the same time, expect too many ongoing processes to slow down the device. Users can select the features they use often and disable others to help the memory to breathe and reduce power consumption.
Remove Unnecessary Files
Galaxy S4 owners can use the File Manager pre-installed on the smartphone to remove files from non-system folders or Bluetooth. They can delete the cache files of apps and uninstall those no longer in use. Some apps can eat up to 50 MB on the memory which can severe performance and multitasking.
Dealing with Native Apps
Some apps are non-removable but can be disabled including bloatware from Google and Samsung. Go to Settings > Application Manager > All tab > Select the Apps. Users can disable apps including Google Maps, Google Newsstand, Google Movies and more to prevent them from eating memory. Galaxy S4 owners may also need to uninstall the updates first before any disabling can be accomplished.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’