Barack Obama’s Democrat Party 'Courting' George Clooney to Run as California's Governor
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 16, 2014 3:27 PM EST
George Clooney, who has spent most of his youth in Ohio and Kentucky, is set to run for governor in the state of California in the U.S. This was after Barack Obama's Democrat Party reportedly urging the former Hollywood bachelor to take the challenge. He is also reported to be marrying British lawyer Amal Alamuddin.
Actor and director George Clooney arrives for the UK premiere of his film "The Monuments Men" in London in this February 11, 2014 file photo. Hollywood leading man George Clooney, who has said he was not suited for marriage, is engaged to British lawyer Amal Alamuddin, according to media reports on April 26, 2014.
The Mirror cited the 53-year-old actor plans to launch his political career after the marriage to Alamuddin. Friends of Clooney told the publication the actor is being courted by Obama's Democrat Party for the 2018 election.
The proof of friendship between Obama and Clooney was seen after the U.S. president invited the award-winning actor at the White House for the screening of the actor's latest movie, "The Monuments Men."
According to the report, Clooney brought Alamuddin with him to attend Obama's invitation. Guests witnessed how close the engaged couple were throughout the night. Clooney and Alamuddin's engagement was confirmed late in April 2014 after a source told People that the two "plan on being together forever."
Clooney was known for his great acting abilities, winning two Oscars and awarded with 80 more wins and receiving 125 nominations. The actor's profile on IMDb was loaded with numerous movie and TV credits, including the Oscar-winning movie, "Gravity," where the actor played the character of Matt Kowalski and "The Monuments Men," where he played Frank Stokes.
Aside from acting, the actor was also known for his political activism and campaign for humanitarian rights.
He is said to have been an advocate for the Darfur conflict, which according to the unitedhumanrights.org is a huge rebel movement between the government of Sudan and the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) and Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) that completely affected the lives of millions of Sudanese.
Clooney was once arrested for civil disobedience while in protest over the conflict in Darfur. But he has served United Nations as one of the "messengers of peace" since 2008.
According to the Mirror, Clooney's spokesman has refused to give comments regarding Clooney entering politics and running as California's governor.
Sources close to the star, told the publication that the actor has already turned down several "long-term" projects in Hollywood.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged