Barack Obama’s Democrat Party 'Courting' George Clooney to Run as California's Governor
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 16, 2014 3:27 PM EST
George Clooney, who has spent most of his youth in Ohio and Kentucky, is set to run for governor in the state of California in the U.S. This was after Barack Obama's Democrat Party reportedly urging the former Hollywood bachelor to take the challenge. He is also reported to be marrying British lawyer Amal Alamuddin.
Actor and director George Clooney arrives for the UK premiere of his film "The Monuments Men" in London in this February 11, 2014 file photo. Hollywood leading man George Clooney, who has said he was not suited for marriage, is engaged to British lawyer Amal Alamuddin, according to media reports on April 26, 2014.
The Mirror cited the 53-year-old actor plans to launch his political career after the marriage to Alamuddin. Friends of Clooney told the publication the actor is being courted by Obama's Democrat Party for the 2018 election.
The proof of friendship between Obama and Clooney was seen after the U.S. president invited the award-winning actor at the White House for the screening of the actor's latest movie, "The Monuments Men."
According to the report, Clooney brought Alamuddin with him to attend Obama's invitation. Guests witnessed how close the engaged couple were throughout the night. Clooney and Alamuddin's engagement was confirmed late in April 2014 after a source told People that the two "plan on being together forever."
Clooney was known for his great acting abilities, winning two Oscars and awarded with 80 more wins and receiving 125 nominations. The actor's profile on IMDb was loaded with numerous movie and TV credits, including the Oscar-winning movie, "Gravity," where the actor played the character of Matt Kowalski and "The Monuments Men," where he played Frank Stokes.
Aside from acting, the actor was also known for his political activism and campaign for humanitarian rights.
He is said to have been an advocate for the Darfur conflict, which according to the unitedhumanrights.org is a huge rebel movement between the government of Sudan and the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) and Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) that completely affected the lives of millions of Sudanese.
Clooney was once arrested for civil disobedience while in protest over the conflict in Darfur. But he has served United Nations as one of the "messengers of peace" since 2008.
According to the Mirror, Clooney's spokesman has refused to give comments regarding Clooney entering politics and running as California's governor.
Sources close to the star, told the publication that the actor has already turned down several "long-term" projects in Hollywood.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2