Barack Obama’s Democrat Party 'Courting' George Clooney to Run as California's Governor
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 16, 2014 3:27 PM EST
George Clooney, who has spent most of his youth in Ohio and Kentucky, is set to run for governor in the state of California in the U.S. This was after Barack Obama's Democrat Party reportedly urging the former Hollywood bachelor to take the challenge. He is also reported to be marrying British lawyer Amal Alamuddin.
Actor and director George Clooney arrives for the UK premiere of his film "The Monuments Men" in London in this February 11, 2014 file photo. Hollywood leading man George Clooney, who has said he was not suited for marriage, is engaged to British lawyer Amal Alamuddin, according to media reports on April 26, 2014.
The Mirror cited the 53-year-old actor plans to launch his political career after the marriage to Alamuddin. Friends of Clooney told the publication the actor is being courted by Obama's Democrat Party for the 2018 election.
The proof of friendship between Obama and Clooney was seen after the U.S. president invited the award-winning actor at the White House for the screening of the actor's latest movie, "The Monuments Men."
According to the report, Clooney brought Alamuddin with him to attend Obama's invitation. Guests witnessed how close the engaged couple were throughout the night. Clooney and Alamuddin's engagement was confirmed late in April 2014 after a source told People that the two "plan on being together forever."
Clooney was known for his great acting abilities, winning two Oscars and awarded with 80 more wins and receiving 125 nominations. The actor's profile on IMDb was loaded with numerous movie and TV credits, including the Oscar-winning movie, "Gravity," where the actor played the character of Matt Kowalski and "The Monuments Men," where he played Frank Stokes.
Aside from acting, the actor was also known for his political activism and campaign for humanitarian rights.
He is said to have been an advocate for the Darfur conflict, which according to the unitedhumanrights.org is a huge rebel movement between the government of Sudan and the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) and Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) that completely affected the lives of millions of Sudanese.
Clooney was once arrested for civil disobedience while in protest over the conflict in Darfur. But he has served United Nations as one of the "messengers of peace" since 2008.
According to the Mirror, Clooney's spokesman has refused to give comments regarding Clooney entering politics and running as California's governor.
Sources close to the star, told the publication that the actor has already turned down several "long-term" projects in Hollywood.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Will Feature Nude Scene Confirmed—Report
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1: ‘The Biggest Action Sequence That We Have Ever Attempted’ [VIDEO]
- 'Terminator' 5 And 'Jurassic World' Trailers To Be Released Soon
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members