Samsung Unveils Two New Galaxy Tab S Tablets With High-end Display And Thinner Than iPad Air
By Naveena Joy | June 16, 2014 3:17 PM EST
The Korean electronics giant, during an event in New York at the Madison Square Garden theater, has unveiled its two new Galaxy Tab S tablets: 10.4-inch and 8.4-inch models. Both models have the same internal as far as specs are concerned. But they come with a high-end display capable of color-rich pictures.
Samsung introduced its Super AMOLED display in a tablet for the first time. It is similar to Galaxy S5 phone, which became popular as the best screen in the market.
Tablets are getting popular how people have started using them in their daily life, watching online videos and reading magazines.
CNET reported Samsung called its new flagship tablets as "personal visual devices," pumping up the picture quality. The company brought a wider color range to the screen and announced HD quality for Netflix and YouTube.
Samsung made different tablet models under the Galaxy name. But Galaxy Tab S will be marketed as the company's flagship brand. In the U.S., both the tablets will be available in July and priced the same as iPad Mini and iPad Air. The 8.4-incher starts at $399 while 10.5-incher starts at $499.
The tablets are very thin and light measuring only 6.6 mm thick that is thinner than iPad Air, which is 7.5 mm thick. As far as weight is concerned, 10.5-inch tablet weighs 1 pound while 8.4-inch model weighs 10 ounces.
The Business Insider reported the tablets look similar to Galaxy S5, especially from the back as it has the same tacky dimpled plastic, but from the front it looks good. Unlike previous tablets, Galaxy Tab S feels sturdy instead of creaky and plastic. There is also a bronze loured border along its sides.
Galaxy Tab S also has a fingerprint sensor implanted in the home button. This can be used to unlock the device without a passcode or make payments through PayPal. Samsung also designed new cases for its new tablet called Book Covers. It helps to view from three different angles once kept in the table.
The handset works on Android but Samsung has customized the software a lot and added its own features like it can pair with Galaxy smartphone with the help of a Wi-Fi and drag, drop photos and files also make calls in the tablet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar