Diego Maradona Defends Mourinho's Decision to Bench Casillas In Wake of Wold Cup Dutch Thrashing
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 16, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Diego Maradona has gone on the record to defend his friend Jose Mourinho in his decision to bench Iker Casillas in Spanish La Liga games during his stint with Real Madrid. The statement came after Casillas' poor showing in the Spanish Team's opeing match against Holland in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
Iker Casillas reacts after the Netherlands score a goal in their match against Spain in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil
Jose Mourinho faced a lot of heat from fans and players when he decided to bench Iker Casillas in the Spanish La Liga last year when he was still at the helm for Real Madrid. Since then, Mourinho has returned to Chelsea amid growing tension in the team. Carlo Ancelotti has taken over at Real Madrid, leading the Spanish giants to a UEFA Champions League Victory which they almost lost by literally the skin of their teeth when Atlético led by one goal up until the 93rd minute. The lone Atlético goal was blamed largely on Iker Casillas and his carelessness on the line.
Sergio Ramos scored a life-saving header in stoppage time to equalize and let the match go into stoppage time which allowed Real to eventually take the lead and win with a decisive 4-1 scoreline.
Holland was always going to be a threat since the Oranje were looking for revenge after their loss in the final match of the 2010 World Cup against Spain. The defending champions faced a rematch of that fateful final match as their opening outing for their title defence. Instead of stamping their authority on the pitch, Spain were put to school by the Dutch team who put five brilliant goals past Casillas. Meanwhile, Spain's loan goal came off a slightly controversial penalty won by Diego Costa.
In the wake of that match and last Saturday's thrashing received by the Spanish National Team from Holland, legendary Argentine player Diego Maradona has expressed his support to his friend Mourinho's decision to bench Casillas since last year.
"I'd like to recall the words of my friend Mourinho who said that Casillas was no longer his first-choice keeper and it cost him dearly. He had to leave Real Madrid. Tonight's events showed that Mourinho was right," said Maradona in an interview with Victor Hugo Morales in the TV show "De Zurda."
Arjen Robben and Robin Van Persie scored two goals each and Stefan de Vrij completed five goals for the Dutch side. Robin Van Persie's header which flew over Casillas' head and beyond his reach has become viral with the Dutchman being compared to superman and other forms of aircraft.
Casillas and the defending champions will have a chance to redeem themselves and keep the title defence alive on Wednesday when they go up against Chile in Rio de Janeiro.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports