2014 World Cup News: Klinsmann Backtracks, Reserved on US WC Chances
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 16, 2014 2:09 PM EST
A day before the Americans open up the World Cup against Ghana, United States Coach Jurgen Klinsmann backtracks on his statement that his team has no chance to hoist the World Cup.
A few days removed from making sensational statements on the American's odds of winning it all, the embattled coach has now proclaimed that his itinerary and flight schedule proves of his faith in his team.
"I booked my flight after the final," Klinsmann said Sunday at the United States' pre-match press conference at Arena das Dunas in this coastal, northeastern city. The US will open their campaign against Group G qualifier Ghana, Monday.
The former star striker of Germany and coach of the unified German squad was previously quoted as saying that the US team had no chance to win the tournament. Kilinsmann reiterated during the recent press conference that his goals for the US are no different from what he has with Die Mannschaft, and that is win multiple championships and become legitimate threats every World Cup.
"We come in with the same effort, the same drive, the same energy and ambition to do well. And we want to do really well," Klinsmann said.
US coach Jurgen Klinsmann has made it a mantra that players should compete at the highest possible level, against the best possible competition. Eyebrows were raised when star players Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley moved back from top European leagues back to Major League Soccer, the circuit where their careers started. Their coach believes otherwise and thinks they have prepared better for the tournament this time around.
"That's why we worked more than four weeks on our preparation, we timed it the right way to give the players the confidence they need to beat Ghana tomorrow. This is step one, then comes Portugal and then comes Germany. And then we'll see...expectations in the United States are very high."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date