NBA News 2014 - Detroit’s Monroe Expects Free Agency to be Like College Recruiting; Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans Among the Teams Interested
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Several squads are expected to line-up for Greg Monroe’s services come July 1, when the Detroit Pistons big man hit the free agent market and when teams can start talking to potential signees for the upcoming 2014-2015 NBA Season.
NBA: New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons
"From what I have been told, it'll be like that (college recruiting) a little bit," Monroe said via NOLA.com. "But the NBA has really strict rules and you can't talk about it until July 1. Different things come out about teams who are interested, but I won't know for sure until July 1 when I can actually talk to them."
While NBA teams and Monroe cannot talk about the specifics because of NBA anti-tampering rules, reports have trickled in that multiple teams are interested in acquiring him either via sign-and-trade (for teams without cap space) or signing him straight up (for teams with cap space)
"I'm hoping and praying that I will have some options," added Monroe. "As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I'll be with my agent and we'll go through the process together."
The 6-foot-11 pivot man, who averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds in 82 games started for the Pistons, can stop hoping and praying as squads like the New Orleans Pelicans, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Hornets, Atlanta Hawks and even, the new champions San Antonio Spurs are reportedly interested in Monroe.
The salary cap is expected to be around $63M for 2014-2015 and among the teams with cap space are the Lakers ($35.4M committed next season); Mavericks ($26.6M); Pelicans ($48.6M); Hornets ($44.0M); and the Hawks ($49.0M).
Another option is a return to Detroit.
"I've been in communication with [head coach Stan] Van Gundy," Monroe said. "I met with him and he understands the position I am in right now and I am going to go through the process.”
Van Gundy was hired as the team’s president/head coach this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales