NBA News 2014 - Detroit’s Monroe Expects Free Agency to be Like College Recruiting; Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans Among the Teams Interested
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Several squads are expected to line-up for Greg Monroe’s services come July 1, when the Detroit Pistons big man hit the free agent market and when teams can start talking to potential signees for the upcoming 2014-2015 NBA Season.
NBA: New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons
"From what I have been told, it'll be like that (college recruiting) a little bit," Monroe said via NOLA.com. "But the NBA has really strict rules and you can't talk about it until July 1. Different things come out about teams who are interested, but I won't know for sure until July 1 when I can actually talk to them."
While NBA teams and Monroe cannot talk about the specifics because of NBA anti-tampering rules, reports have trickled in that multiple teams are interested in acquiring him either via sign-and-trade (for teams without cap space) or signing him straight up (for teams with cap space)
"I'm hoping and praying that I will have some options," added Monroe. "As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I'll be with my agent and we'll go through the process together."
The 6-foot-11 pivot man, who averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds in 82 games started for the Pistons, can stop hoping and praying as squads like the New Orleans Pelicans, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Hornets, Atlanta Hawks and even, the new champions San Antonio Spurs are reportedly interested in Monroe.
The salary cap is expected to be around $63M for 2014-2015 and among the teams with cap space are the Lakers ($35.4M committed next season); Mavericks ($26.6M); Pelicans ($48.6M); Hornets ($44.0M); and the Hawks ($49.0M).
Another option is a return to Detroit.
"I've been in communication with [head coach Stan] Van Gundy," Monroe said. "I met with him and he understands the position I am in right now and I am going to go through the process.”
Van Gundy was hired as the team’s president/head coach this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide