NBA News 2014 - Detroit’s Monroe Expects Free Agency to be Like College Recruiting; Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans Among the Teams Interested
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Several squads are expected to line-up for Greg Monroe’s services come July 1, when the Detroit Pistons big man hit the free agent market and when teams can start talking to potential signees for the upcoming 2014-2015 NBA Season.
NBA: New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons
"From what I have been told, it'll be like that (college recruiting) a little bit," Monroe said via NOLA.com. "But the NBA has really strict rules and you can't talk about it until July 1. Different things come out about teams who are interested, but I won't know for sure until July 1 when I can actually talk to them."
While NBA teams and Monroe cannot talk about the specifics because of NBA anti-tampering rules, reports have trickled in that multiple teams are interested in acquiring him either via sign-and-trade (for teams without cap space) or signing him straight up (for teams with cap space)
"I'm hoping and praying that I will have some options," added Monroe. "As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I'll be with my agent and we'll go through the process together."
The 6-foot-11 pivot man, who averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds in 82 games started for the Pistons, can stop hoping and praying as squads like the New Orleans Pelicans, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Hornets, Atlanta Hawks and even, the new champions San Antonio Spurs are reportedly interested in Monroe.
The salary cap is expected to be around $63M for 2014-2015 and among the teams with cap space are the Lakers ($35.4M committed next season); Mavericks ($26.6M); Pelicans ($48.6M); Hornets ($44.0M); and the Hawks ($49.0M).
Another option is a return to Detroit.
"I've been in communication with [head coach Stan] Van Gundy," Monroe said. "I met with him and he understands the position I am in right now and I am going to go through the process.”
Van Gundy was hired as the team’s president/head coach this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate