NBA News 2014 - Detroit’s Monroe Expects Free Agency to be Like College Recruiting; Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans Among the Teams Interested
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Several squads are expected to line-up for Greg Monroe’s services come July 1, when the Detroit Pistons big man hit the free agent market and when teams can start talking to potential signees for the upcoming 2014-2015 NBA Season.
NBA: New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons
"From what I have been told, it'll be like that (college recruiting) a little bit," Monroe said via NOLA.com. "But the NBA has really strict rules and you can't talk about it until July 1. Different things come out about teams who are interested, but I won't know for sure until July 1 when I can actually talk to them."
While NBA teams and Monroe cannot talk about the specifics because of NBA anti-tampering rules, reports have trickled in that multiple teams are interested in acquiring him either via sign-and-trade (for teams without cap space) or signing him straight up (for teams with cap space)
"I'm hoping and praying that I will have some options," added Monroe. "As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I'll be with my agent and we'll go through the process together."
The 6-foot-11 pivot man, who averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds in 82 games started for the Pistons, can stop hoping and praying as squads like the New Orleans Pelicans, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Hornets, Atlanta Hawks and even, the new champions San Antonio Spurs are reportedly interested in Monroe.
The salary cap is expected to be around $63M for 2014-2015 and among the teams with cap space are the Lakers ($35.4M committed next season); Mavericks ($26.6M); Pelicans ($48.6M); Hornets ($44.0M); and the Hawks ($49.0M).
Another option is a return to Detroit.
"I've been in communication with [head coach Stan] Van Gundy," Monroe said. "I met with him and he understands the position I am in right now and I am going to go through the process.”
Van Gundy was hired as the team’s president/head coach this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones