NBA News 2014 - Detroit’s Monroe Expects Free Agency to be Like College Recruiting; Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans Among the Teams Interested
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Several squads are expected to line-up for Greg Monroe’s services come July 1, when the Detroit Pistons big man hit the free agent market and when teams can start talking to potential signees for the upcoming 2014-2015 NBA Season.
NBA: New York Knicks at Detroit Pistons
"From what I have been told, it'll be like that (college recruiting) a little bit," Monroe said via NOLA.com. "But the NBA has really strict rules and you can't talk about it until July 1. Different things come out about teams who are interested, but I won't know for sure until July 1 when I can actually talk to them."
While NBA teams and Monroe cannot talk about the specifics because of NBA anti-tampering rules, reports have trickled in that multiple teams are interested in acquiring him either via sign-and-trade (for teams without cap space) or signing him straight up (for teams with cap space)
"I'm hoping and praying that I will have some options," added Monroe. "As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I'll be with my agent and we'll go through the process together."
The 6-foot-11 pivot man, who averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds in 82 games started for the Pistons, can stop hoping and praying as squads like the New Orleans Pelicans, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Hornets, Atlanta Hawks and even, the new champions San Antonio Spurs are reportedly interested in Monroe.
The salary cap is expected to be around $63M for 2014-2015 and among the teams with cap space are the Lakers ($35.4M committed next season); Mavericks ($26.6M); Pelicans ($48.6M); Hornets ($44.0M); and the Hawks ($49.0M).
Another option is a return to Detroit.
"I've been in communication with [head coach Stan] Van Gundy," Monroe said. "I met with him and he understands the position I am in right now and I am going to go through the process.”
Van Gundy was hired as the team’s president/head coach this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display