Upgrade Your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 to Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat
By Ryan Inoyori | June 16, 2014 2:01 PM EST
Android 4.4.2 KitKat is now officially available to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 Black Edition LTE. You may download it via OTA or Samsung Kies but if the update is not available, you can install it manually.
Automatic Updates for your Galaxy S4 Mini Black is accessible via Settings > Software Updates > Check for Updates. Depending on your location, OTA update may not be available. As an alternative, you can Samsung Kies PC Suite installed on your computer.
Launch the program then plug your smartphone to initiate software update. In case the program does not notify you of the new software, you can install the firmware manually.
It is compatible to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 Black Edition LTE only and has the PDA number I9195XXUCNE6. You need a computer and a USB cable as the starting kit for the manual installation.
1. Create a manual backup of all data files and personal settings stored on your smartphone.
2. Battery level should be at least 50 per cent.
3. Enable USB debugging mode on the device.
4. Download and install the necessary USB drivers on your computer. If you have Samsung Kies installed, plug in the device to install the drivers.
6. Download the ODIN flash tool on your computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any damages or errors which may occur on your device. Read and follow the instructions properly to prevent incurring any problems on your Galaxy S4 Mini Black LTE. Do this at your own risk.
1. Extract the ODIN zip file on your computer to another location such as desktop.
2. Extract the firmware zip file to the ODIN folder.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from your computer if connected and close the Samsung Kies if active.
4. Launch the ODIN executable file on your computer.
5. Turn off your smartphone then reboot it into Download mode. Press and hold Volume Down + Power + Home key at the same time till you see a warning screen.
6. Connect your Galaxy S4 Mini Black LTE to the computer using a USB cable. The ID:COM should glow blue if your smartphone has been detected. Otherwise, reinstall the necessary USB drivers.
7. Click the AP button inside the ODIN flash tool then select the firmware file which you've extracted earlier.
8. Double check and make sure that the "RE-PARTITION" box is "UNCHECKED."
9. "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" should be "CHECKED."
10. Hit the Start button to begin installation. After the word PASS appears in ODIN, you device will restart. It may take three to five minutes before it reaches the home screen.
11. Disconnect your smartphone from the computer then go to Settings > About Phone to see the new firmware version.
In case the message FAIL appears instead of PASS, disconnect the device and close ODIN. Remove the battery unit then put it back. Follow the steps once again till you get the message PASS. The same method applies if the installation stuck up on its own.
To contact the editor, e-mail: