Roger Federer Wins Seventh Title in Halle, Watch His Semi-Final Blooper Against Nishikori [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 16, 2014 1:38 PM EST
Roger Federer clinched his seventh title in the grass courts of Halle, Germany at the Gerry Weber Open. The Swiss star is showing his intent to claim an unprecedented 18th Grand Slam Title when Wimbledon comes around next week. He will be going for his eighth Wimbledon crown.
Halle is one of the warm up events leading up to Wimbledon and Federer said that he was looking forward to defending his title here and coming to Wimbledon after he was unceremoniously booted out of the French Open in the third round by Latvia's Ernests Gulbis.
The final match against Alejandro Falla ended in 2 sets but was no means a straight sets walkover. Both sets ended in a tie break with the final score of 7-6(2), 7-6(3).
Federer broke first in the first set to go 5-3 up but the Colombian broke back to take it to the tie break. In the second set, Federer broke immediately but Falla countered and the two players exchanged serves to get back to a tie break with Federer emerging victorious in the end. This is now Federer's seventh win in seven clashes with Falla.
''To win in a tiebreak is always a bit special; the euphoria, the emotion comes out. I was able to deal with Falla's strengths in the final and also Nishikori's in the semifinal. They were my second and third games on grass and I'm very satisfied with the level I could reach.'' said Federer in the post-match interview.
Incidentally, when Federer won the final he was a lot more aware of what was going on around him as opposed to his delayed reaction after winning his semi-final match against Nishikori.
Top seeded Rafael Nadal was taken out early in Halle, bowing out in the second round after successfully taking his ninth French Open Title just a week ago. Federer, who did not do well in Roland Garros nor the Australian Open earlier this year or last year's US Open where he bowed out in the fourth round, will be keen to stamp his authority back on the courts in his beloved grass surface.
Wimbledon will run from June 23 to July 6.
Watch Federer's Blooper in the semi-final match against Nishikori where he doesn't realize that he's already won the match:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen