NBA News: Prokhorov Listening to Offers for Sale of Brooklyn Nets
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 12:45 PM EST
The embattled Donald Sterling, who despite his “racist” acts is set to be paid $2 billion for his Los Angeles Clippers. The figure is a league-record for a sale of any NBA franchise and has gotten the attention of Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who is apparently exploring the idea of selling his team.
NBA: Playoffs-Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets
"Just listening so far," according to a source by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. "They haven't indicated a desire or willingness to sell. …Nothing was initiated by [Prokhorov]."
The Russian billionaire is a known sports enthusiast financially supporting the basketball, hockey and football teams of CSKA Moscow in his home country and was also the president of president of Russian Biathlon Union and member of the Supreme Council of the Sport Russia.
His sports passion brought him to the United States in 2010 when he bought the Nets franchise for $223 million becoming the majority owner with 80% stake plus the 45% stake in the Barclays Center sports and arena, the Nets homecourt.
However, ESPN filed a follow-up report debunking the Yahoo Sports’ piece on Saturday.
“We have no interest in selling the team," said a spokesman for Prokhorov via the ESPN article.
The latter report could be nearer to the truth as Prokhorov has invested heavily on the team payroll the past few years. The Nets are have already a combined $190M owned in salary and luxury tax for 2013-2014 NBA season, a year they got booted out in the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists