NBA News: Prokhorov Listening to Offers for Sale of Brooklyn Nets
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 12:45 PM EST
The embattled Donald Sterling, who despite his “racist” acts is set to be paid $2 billion for his Los Angeles Clippers. The figure is a league-record for a sale of any NBA franchise and has gotten the attention of Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who is apparently exploring the idea of selling his team.
NBA: Playoffs-Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets
"Just listening so far," according to a source by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. "They haven't indicated a desire or willingness to sell. …Nothing was initiated by [Prokhorov]."
The Russian billionaire is a known sports enthusiast financially supporting the basketball, hockey and football teams of CSKA Moscow in his home country and was also the president of president of Russian Biathlon Union and member of the Supreme Council of the Sport Russia.
His sports passion brought him to the United States in 2010 when he bought the Nets franchise for $223 million becoming the majority owner with 80% stake plus the 45% stake in the Barclays Center sports and arena, the Nets homecourt.
However, ESPN filed a follow-up report debunking the Yahoo Sports’ piece on Saturday.
“We have no interest in selling the team," said a spokesman for Prokhorov via the ESPN article.
The latter report could be nearer to the truth as Prokhorov has invested heavily on the team payroll the past few years. The Nets are have already a combined $190M owned in salary and luxury tax for 2013-2014 NBA season, a year they got booted out in the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report