NBA News: Prokhorov Listening to Offers for Sale of Brooklyn Nets
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 12:45 PM EST
The embattled Donald Sterling, who despite his “racist” acts is set to be paid $2 billion for his Los Angeles Clippers. The figure is a league-record for a sale of any NBA franchise and has gotten the attention of Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who is apparently exploring the idea of selling his team.
NBA: Playoffs-Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets
"Just listening so far," according to a source by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. "They haven't indicated a desire or willingness to sell. …Nothing was initiated by [Prokhorov]."
The Russian billionaire is a known sports enthusiast financially supporting the basketball, hockey and football teams of CSKA Moscow in his home country and was also the president of president of Russian Biathlon Union and member of the Supreme Council of the Sport Russia.
His sports passion brought him to the United States in 2010 when he bought the Nets franchise for $223 million becoming the majority owner with 80% stake plus the 45% stake in the Barclays Center sports and arena, the Nets homecourt.
However, ESPN filed a follow-up report debunking the Yahoo Sports’ piece on Saturday.
“We have no interest in selling the team," said a spokesman for Prokhorov via the ESPN article.
The latter report could be nearer to the truth as Prokhorov has invested heavily on the team payroll the past few years. The Nets are have already a combined $190M owned in salary and luxury tax for 2013-2014 NBA season, a year they got booted out in the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Arsenal FC: Zlatan Or Ronaldo? Wenger Reveals His Biggest 'Missed Signing' Regret
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional