NBA News: Prokhorov Listening to Offers for Sale of Brooklyn Nets
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 12:45 PM EST
The embattled Donald Sterling, who despite his “racist” acts is set to be paid $2 billion for his Los Angeles Clippers. The figure is a league-record for a sale of any NBA franchise and has gotten the attention of Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who is apparently exploring the idea of selling his team.
NBA: Playoffs-Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets
"Just listening so far," according to a source by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. "They haven't indicated a desire or willingness to sell. …Nothing was initiated by [Prokhorov]."
The Russian billionaire is a known sports enthusiast financially supporting the basketball, hockey and football teams of CSKA Moscow in his home country and was also the president of president of Russian Biathlon Union and member of the Supreme Council of the Sport Russia.
His sports passion brought him to the United States in 2010 when he bought the Nets franchise for $223 million becoming the majority owner with 80% stake plus the 45% stake in the Barclays Center sports and arena, the Nets homecourt.
However, ESPN filed a follow-up report debunking the Yahoo Sports’ piece on Saturday.
“We have no interest in selling the team," said a spokesman for Prokhorov via the ESPN article.
The latter report could be nearer to the truth as Prokhorov has invested heavily on the team payroll the past few years. The Nets are have already a combined $190M owned in salary and luxury tax for 2013-2014 NBA season, a year they got booted out in the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft