NBA News: Prokhorov Listening to Offers for Sale of Brooklyn Nets
By James Patrick Quizon | June 16, 2014 12:45 PM EST
The embattled Donald Sterling, who despite his “racist” acts is set to be paid $2 billion for his Los Angeles Clippers. The figure is a league-record for a sale of any NBA franchise and has gotten the attention of Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who is apparently exploring the idea of selling his team.
NBA: Playoffs-Miami Heat at Brooklyn Nets
"Just listening so far," according to a source by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. "They haven't indicated a desire or willingness to sell. …Nothing was initiated by [Prokhorov]."
The Russian billionaire is a known sports enthusiast financially supporting the basketball, hockey and football teams of CSKA Moscow in his home country and was also the president of president of Russian Biathlon Union and member of the Supreme Council of the Sport Russia.
His sports passion brought him to the United States in 2010 when he bought the Nets franchise for $223 million becoming the majority owner with 80% stake plus the 45% stake in the Barclays Center sports and arena, the Nets homecourt.
However, ESPN filed a follow-up report debunking the Yahoo Sports’ piece on Saturday.
“We have no interest in selling the team," said a spokesman for Prokhorov via the ESPN article.
The latter report could be nearer to the truth as Prokhorov has invested heavily on the team payroll the past few years. The Nets are have already a combined $190M owned in salary and luxury tax for 2013-2014 NBA season, a year they got booted out in the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga