Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 Inches) vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8.0 Inches) – Specifications, Features and Price Comparison
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 16, 2014 12:43 PM EST
Samsung announced two variants of its Tab series of tablets in an event organized in New York on June 12, 2014. The new Galaxy Tab S tablets come with 8.4 inches and 10.5 inches display. Both the tablets pack killer features and terrific hardware specifications. Here is a specification, feature and price comparison between the recently launched Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 inches) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8.0 Inches).
Display, Size and Exterior
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S features an 8.4 inches Super AMOLED display with a stunning 2,560 x 1,600 pixel screen resolution. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, on the other hand, comes with an 8 inches Super Clear LCD display with much lesser 1,280 x 800 pixels resolution. In addition, the pixel strength of Galaxy Tab S stands-out at 359 ppi, while the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 comes with an inferior 189 ppi of pixel density.
The Galaxy Tab S comes with a thickness and weight of 6.6 mm and 249 g respectively. Whereas the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 has a thickness of 7.4 mm and it weighs much higher than Tab S at 319 g. Hence the Galaxy Tab S is lighter and thinner when compared to the galaxy Tab 3.
The exterior of the Galaxy Tab S is similar to the flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone with a perforated textured rear. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, on the other hand, has curvy edges, and glossy plastic back.
Hardware and Software
The non-LTE version of Samsung Galaxy Tab S is powered by a superior octa-core (Exynos 5) processor clocked at (1.9 GHz quad-core and 1.3 GHz quad-core), and it houses 3 GB of RAM. In addition, the LTE version of Galaxy Tab S is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) processor clocked at 2.3 GHz.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, on the other hand, is powered by a relatively inferior dual-core (Exynos 4 Dual) ARM Cortex-A9 processor clocked at 1.5 GHz and it comes with only 1.5 GB of RAM. The Galaxy Tab S runs on the latest Android v4.4 KitKat OS, while the Galaxy Tab 3 runs on Android v4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
The Galaxy Tab S comes with 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage capacity and it supports microSD card for expansion up to 128 GB. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 comes with the same built-in storage capacity of 16 GB and 32 GB; in addition, it supports microSD card for expansion up to 64 GB.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 houses a 5 MP rear-facing camera without flash and a 1.3 MP front-facing camera unit. While the Galaxy Tab S comes with an 8 MP rear-facing camera with LED flash and a 2.1 MP front-facing camera unit.
The Galaxy Tab S houses a whopping 4900 mAh battery unit with Ultra Power Saving mode. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 also packs a good-enough 4450 mAh battery unit.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 comes in brown and white shades, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Tab S will come in titanium bronze and dazzling white shades.
1. Both the tablets come in LTE and non-LTE (or Wi-Fi only) models.
2. The Galaxy Tab S is a killer tablet for the ones addicted to multi-tasking. In addition, the tablet can be used as a Remote PC.
3. Also, the latest Galaxy Tab S houses fingerprint scanner.
4. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, on the other hand, comes with multi-window support, Pop Up video, Smart Stay eye-tracking, which is used to turn off the display when the user is not looking at the screen.
Price and Release Date
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8.0 inches) 16 GB LTE is priced at AU$389.95, while the Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 inches) will be priced at US$399 (roughly translates to AU$424) and the Galaxy Tab S (10.5 inches) variant will be priced at US$499 (roughly translates to AU$531). The Samsung Galaxy Tab S will be released in selected markets starting July, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report