U.S. Teenager Catches 400-kg Giant Fish in Canada River
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 16, 2014 9:02 AM EST
A U.S. teenager caught a giant fish in Canada while he was fishing with his father.
It was the first time Paul Jarvis went fishing with his father Don. He eventually caught one of the largest white sturgeons in the history. The Atlanta young man is the fourth person in the last couple of years to catch a giant Fraser River sturgeon, CBC News reported. The giant fish weighed about 400 kg, which was calculated on the basis of a mathematical formula after the size was determined. The fish was 3 metres and a half in length and one metre and a half in girth.
A fishmonger shows off his river fish to World Cup tourists at the port market in Cuiaba June 14, 2014,
Paul could not believe how big his catch turned out to be. "In the first few minutes I had it on the line I couldn't believe the weight and power of the fish," he said, "I am a big guy and I could barely hold on to the rod let alone begin to reel the fish. Managing that fish became a true father and son challenge. As I battled the fish my dad handed me water to keep me hydrated and he even held on to my fighting belt and harness. When I saw the head come out of the water it was massive."
The university sophomore and his father fought with the giant fish for over an hour before they could bring it to the shore with the help of the boat's lead guide Dean Werk of Great River Fishing Adventures. According to Dean, it was determined after scanning the fish that it had not been tagged before. Thereafter, a PIT tag conservation tag had been applied before the anglers got together to capture the moment on camera. The Sturgeon Conservation Centre provides PTI tags to anglers to help in white sturgeon population estimations.
Niels Rasmussen caught a 3-metre long sturgeon along with his friends in September 2013. A British tourist caught one giant sturgeon in July 2013, and one more was caught in September 2012 by Norman Daley.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More