U.S. Teenager Catches 400-kg Giant Fish in Canada River
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 16, 2014 9:02 AM EST
A U.S. teenager caught a giant fish in Canada while he was fishing with his father.
It was the first time Paul Jarvis went fishing with his father Don. He eventually caught one of the largest white sturgeons in the history. The Atlanta young man is the fourth person in the last couple of years to catch a giant Fraser River sturgeon, CBC News reported. The giant fish weighed about 400 kg, which was calculated on the basis of a mathematical formula after the size was determined. The fish was 3 metres and a half in length and one metre and a half in girth.
A fishmonger shows off his river fish to World Cup tourists at the port market in Cuiaba June 14, 2014,
Paul could not believe how big his catch turned out to be. "In the first few minutes I had it on the line I couldn't believe the weight and power of the fish," he said, "I am a big guy and I could barely hold on to the rod let alone begin to reel the fish. Managing that fish became a true father and son challenge. As I battled the fish my dad handed me water to keep me hydrated and he even held on to my fighting belt and harness. When I saw the head come out of the water it was massive."
The university sophomore and his father fought with the giant fish for over an hour before they could bring it to the shore with the help of the boat's lead guide Dean Werk of Great River Fishing Adventures. According to Dean, it was determined after scanning the fish that it had not been tagged before. Thereafter, a PIT tag conservation tag had been applied before the anglers got together to capture the moment on camera. The Sturgeon Conservation Centre provides PTI tags to anglers to help in white sturgeon population estimations.
Niels Rasmussen caught a 3-metre long sturgeon along with his friends in September 2013. A British tourist caught one giant sturgeon in July 2013, and one more was caught in September 2012 by Norman Daley.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June