U.S. Teenager Catches 400-kg Giant Fish in Canada River
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 16, 2014 9:02 AM EST
A U.S. teenager caught a giant fish in Canada while he was fishing with his father.
It was the first time Paul Jarvis went fishing with his father Don. He eventually caught one of the largest white sturgeons in the history. The Atlanta young man is the fourth person in the last couple of years to catch a giant Fraser River sturgeon, CBC News reported. The giant fish weighed about 400 kg, which was calculated on the basis of a mathematical formula after the size was determined. The fish was 3 metres and a half in length and one metre and a half in girth.
A fishmonger shows off his river fish to World Cup tourists at the port market in Cuiaba June 14, 2014,
Paul could not believe how big his catch turned out to be. "In the first few minutes I had it on the line I couldn't believe the weight and power of the fish," he said, "I am a big guy and I could barely hold on to the rod let alone begin to reel the fish. Managing that fish became a true father and son challenge. As I battled the fish my dad handed me water to keep me hydrated and he even held on to my fighting belt and harness. When I saw the head come out of the water it was massive."
The university sophomore and his father fought with the giant fish for over an hour before they could bring it to the shore with the help of the boat's lead guide Dean Werk of Great River Fishing Adventures. According to Dean, it was determined after scanning the fish that it had not been tagged before. Thereafter, a PIT tag conservation tag had been applied before the anglers got together to capture the moment on camera. The Sturgeon Conservation Centre provides PTI tags to anglers to help in white sturgeon population estimations.
Niels Rasmussen caught a 3-metre long sturgeon along with his friends in September 2013. A British tourist caught one giant sturgeon in July 2013, and one more was caught in September 2012 by Norman Daley.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- First Ever Man-Made Leaf That Could Provide Oxygen During Space Travel: A Breathtaking Leap [Watch Video]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools