‘Pacific Rim 2’: Charlie Hunnam Set to Reprise His Role, Guillermo del Toro Working on the Script
By Riza Ornos | June 16, 2014 6:51 AM EST
Mexican director Guillermo del Toro revealed recently that he is currently working on a script for a prequel of the international summer hit "Pacific Rim." The "Crimson Peak" director claimed that he is working with screenwriter Zak Penn ("X-Men: The Last Stand," "The Incredible Hulk") on a screenplay for "Pacific Rim 2."
"I'm working very, very hard with Zak Penn," del Toro told Buzzfeed in an interview while promoting his new FX series "The Strain" at the Austin Television Festival. "We've been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around. Travis Beacham [co-writer of the first film, now working on Fox's Hieroglyph] was involved in the storyline and now I'm writing with Zak because Travis has become a TV mogul."
Del Toro also revealed that "Sons of Anarchy" Charlie Hunnam will reprise his role as Raleigh Becker and Mako Mori as Rinko Kikuchi following the story of the previous movie. "Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel. I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion," the "Hellboy" director explained when asked if the new project is a prequel of the original movie.
Buzzfeed reports that "Pacific Rim" got an impressive $309.2 million internationally and $101.8 million in the United States but Legendary Pictures is not yet giving its green light to produce "Pacific Rim 2." "I don't have the money, but I'm proceeding like it is happening," del Toro revealed as he takes his own route with the film.
"I'm going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one, but you will get really great spectacle," he added.
According to Legendary Pictures Chairman of the Board, Thomas Tull, "Pacific Rim" did not quite hit their expectations but the project is still a success compared to other films. "If there's another great story to tell with Guillermo then we're all over it because we think it's really hard to create one of these things from scratch," said Tull in an interview with iamROQUE in mid-May posted on Latin Post.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’