MH370: Fathers On board Remembered for Father’s Day
By Athena Yenko | June 16, 2014 6:50 AM EST
Fathers on board the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 was remembered painfully on a Father's Day event organised by Voice370.
Voice370 is an association of families of the passengers of MH370.
The event was held at the Kolej Perkembangan Awal Kanak-kanak on Sunday.
Family members both of the passengers and crews of the missing plane wrote their messages of waiting and undying love on pieces of coloured paper. They folded the papers into paper planes and assembled them altogether to form the word MH370.
"It's a tiring task that I have to do alone now. Taking care of my two kids, waking up alone and just coping with all this. It has been challenging. I'm okay, but now that it has come to 100 days, it's getting more painful and tiring. I've grown restless of just waiting," Intan Maizura Othman told The Star.
Maizura came to wrote a message for her husband Mohamad Hazrin Mohamed Hasnan, a cabin crew on the flight. She attended the event with their four-year-old daughter, Iman, and 28-day-old son Muhammad.
"It's excruciating missing him," she described of her agony.
Hasnan's sisters also wrote a long emotional letter for him.
"Things will never be the same again for mama and abah, for your wife, little daughter and for us siblings. Losing you felt so unreal but I know it is all fated. You're gifted with a beautiful heart, always protective of your loved ones and full of rainbow personality inside of you that lights the heart of every person you meet. Not only have I lost my one and only brother, but I have also lost someone who always advised me on life, giving heads up on my relationships and fighting over who is the better 'Shakespeare'. Now this is all the memories that we have, to keep us going every day. You've spent your entire crew years serving, attending and saving lives of the people on board; left your footprints in different cities and touched the souls of many, " a portion of a letter read.
Another attendee of the event was Nicolette Gomes, a daughter to MH370 in-flight supervisor Patrick Francis Gomes.
Gomes said that the most heartbreaking moment of not having her father with them now is every time that her three-year-old son asks about his grandfather.
"The most painful thing is my son not having his grandpa to play with him. Last time it was badminton and football, but now its nothing. My son still talks about him at night, sometimes he'll say 'Grandpa's coming back tonight! 10 o'clock!' And then I just get chills and goosebumps. I do hope that comes true though," Gomes shared.
Gomes' mother shared how she misses her husband terribly as there is now one less person at the table, one less person at a function. She said the family still hopes that his place will be filled someday.
"Last Father's Day, we had so much fun and laughter. This year, we are wishing him through these folded planes," the wife bitter sweetly recalled.
She called for the government not to stop the search, not to ask them to move on.
The 11-year-old son of flight attendant Junaidi Mohd Kassim he could not believe that it has been 100 days since his father was missing.
"One hundred days have been quite fast. (But) If I think about him, I try to think about him coming home," the boy said.
The event was recorded by Voice 370 and posted to the group's Facebook page - MH370 Families.
The video is entitled To Dad with Love, Vanished 100 Days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James